  1) RE: Older 6000lb Clark Fork Lift for free on Craigslist (watsonvi
        lle)
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Getting juice from a light pole
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: HYBRID TECHNOLOGIES INC. (NASD OTCBB: HYBT): UNITED STATES PRESIDENT
GEORGE W. BUSH, ACKNOWLEDGES HYBRID'S NYC TAXI PROJECT AT STATE OF ECONOMY
SPEECH IN NEW YORK
        by Nick Austin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: HYBRID TECHNOLOGIES INC. (NASD OTCBB: HYBT): UNITED STATES PRESIDENT
GEORGE
        by "Death to All Spammers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Solectria BRLS-240H Control Schematic
        by "Emmerick, Craig" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Crimping Tool Choice
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: A123 Cells
        by Bill Dube <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: NiCD battery sag vs. temps
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Series Hybrids eff,  Re: EV digest 6372
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: NiCD battery sag vs. temps
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: 3-wheeler driving experiences / traction principles
        by "Osmo S." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Crimping Tool Choice
        by EVSource <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) re:Crimping Tool Choice
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) A123 Cells
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Battery Eff, tests  Re: Series Hybrids eff,  Re: EV digest 6372
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) re:Crimping Tool Choice
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Surplus Center Prestolite motor
        by Jim Husted <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 3-wheeler driving experiences / traction principles
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) LPI Magne Charge Manual (reciever-side) and/or parts $$ -- needed (Large
Paddle Inductive)
        by "Steve Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Crimping Tool Choice
        by Ralph Merwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Series Hybrids eff,  Re: EV digest 6372
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Series Hybrids eff,  Re: EV digest 6372
 23) Re: Surplus Center Prestolite motor
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: 3-wheeler driving experiences / traction principles
 25) Re: Surplus Center Prestolite motor
 26) Re: Series Hybrids eff,  Re: EV digest 6372
 27) RE: Crimping Tool Choice
        by "Pestka, Dennis J" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 28) Re: 3-wheeler driving experiences / traction principles
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 29) Re: 3-wheeler driving experiences / traction principles
I am sure they fail all over the US/world, but you just need to
find a way to tap into that supply. Craigslist is actually used
in many cities and has a dedicated "free classifieds" section.

Happy hunting,

Cor van de Water
Systems Architect
Proxim Wireless Corporation   http://www.proxim.com
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]      Private: http://www.cvandewater.com
Skype: cor_van_de_water       IM: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel:   +1 408 542 5225        VoIP: +31 20 3987567 FWD# 25925
Fax:   +1 408 731 3675        eFAX: +31-87-784-1130
Second Life: www.secondlife.com/?u=3b42cb3f4ae249319edb487991c30acb

From: Chris Zach <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: NiCD battery sag vs. temps
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:04:27 -0500

>Thank you Jerry. I am noticing a lot more power being
>pulled per mile,  somewhere around 400-500 watt/hrs per
>mile. Normal should be around 300  or so.

            Winter kind of does that. It's why Prius mileage
along with all cars drops in the cold. A main reason besides
weight I eliminated gears/tranny's in my EV.
            I didn't mean to say ni-cads have no cold
effects, just much, much better than lead like Roger said.

>Another issue is that I have the Dolphin's floor set to
>1.0vpc, which is  "empty" when the cells are at rest.
>Technically they should be able to  be loaded down to .8
>volts, which would translate to a 200 volt floor,  not 250
>volts. So maybe I will turn the floor down and see what
>happens.

         I'm going with David here as ni-cads hold their
voltage well until 90% discharged when it starts falling of
a cliff. This might start earlier in colder weather whic has
been rather extreme lately. Luckily I'm in Fla so much of
this is academic to me with ni-cads.

>I do however think they are somewhat lower in capacity,
>which is odd  since I use BB's in the Elec-trak and it
>doesn't show much of a range  drop. Then again I am running
>three strings in the Trac with the  snowblower, and am only
>pulling 150a total unless I am eating snowbanks  in which
>case it's more like 200-250. But that's on three strings,
>not one.

         You might have a bad cell or 2 in the lot. I'd
charge them up completely, equalized, discharge them to 90%,
then check to see which ones drop of the cliff first and
mark them as you gently discharge them more is how I check
for bad cells. Mine were 27+ yrs old when I got my smaller
versions so I had to sort the good ones from the bad. A pain
but they were free ;^D
         Many said these BB600's put out 40 amphrs.
         Most of your problem seems to be added cold drag
with some cold effects on the batts.
         I'd be surprised if in the manual it doesn't have
cold specs. There is a good manual I believe for them on the
BB600 list depending which brand you have.
         Stay warm and switch those fluids for lower cold
drag!! So use GM auto tranny fluid in theirs though I'd
stick to Redline and other known good by EVers syn lubes.
                                     Jerry Dycus

>Chris
>

>jerryd wrote:
>>           Hi Chris and All,

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- Thank you Jerry, 2xTom, Jake for interesting responds. I´m trying to decide if benefits of a 3-wheeler are greater than drawbacks:

+simplicity
+costs
+distinctive looks

-handling peculiarities
-distinctive looks

More?

Of course, as Jerry points out, some 3-wheelers are better designed than others.

Jake Oshins kirjoitti 7.2.2007 kello 2.14:
The biggest problem with the Sparrow is traction.

A basic question: how does the size of the traction area affect on traction? Does wide tire have more traction than a narrow one, or two tires vs one?

terveisin,
Osmo

>          They most certainly would not be using them for an airplane.
> The FAA would have their head on a pike for using a hammer crimper.
> Probably for a fork lift or a car battery.
>
> bill dube'

There's always the Bill Dube crimpers:

http://www.haritech.com/crimp.htm

I took a shot at it a couple years ago:

http://www.evsource.com/conversion/electronics/cabling/crimpers/crimpers.php

They seemed to work pretty good.

I've since graduated to a commercial option.  I'm stocking the hex crimpers in
the EVS store now.  As an added bonus, they can be purchased to use, and
returned for full price when you're done.  Info here:

http://www.evsource.com/tls_cabling_tools.php

-Ryan
--
- EV Source <http://www.evsource.com> -
Professional grade electric vehicle parts and resources

I went to ebay and got one of those burndy y35 hydraulic units.

like 140082564416 or 160081493027

Best choice I ever made. With 26 batteries in two locations, breakers
and disconnects, I had over 60 crimps to do. The heavy duty connectors
for the 2/0 cable have orange stripes on them that the orange die
perfectly fits between.

I am interested in knowing the answer to this myself. For my
experiments, I am just gonna buy some dewalt battery packs off of e-bay,
the dc9360 has 10 cells in it and I have seen them go "new" for about
$100. Even going to lowes and buying one at 167 is $16per cell which is
cheaper than their developer pack.

I was also thinking it might be cool to use the packs directly on a
scooter since they have charge managment and speed control in the pack.

             Hi David and All,

>On 5 Feb 2007 at 20:16, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>
>> For charge efficiency I normally figure an average of 11V
>> on discharge and 13.8V on charge with 100% coulometric.
>That gets us around 80%.
>
>>From 20% SOC to 80% SOC, the battery heats up very little
>and doesn't gas.   So where is the other 20% going?
>
>I suspect that the voltage difference is immaterial (or at
>least negligable)  for purposes of calculating charge
>efficiency between 20% and 80% SOC.  I  could be wrong, but
>my understanding is that energy out is very close to
>energy in >in this charge range<.

      What's happening is a chemical reaction which is done
by power in regardless of voltage, amps, pretty much equals
power out, even if it's at a different voltage, amps. Just
saying you take the same amps out as in at different
voltages is self fullfilling.
      Otherwise the battery temp must change or where does
the energy go Peter says is wasted? Of course I'm talking
about 20% to 80% charging SoC.
      As I've said before, most of the charge is still in
cold or high current discharges, just you can't pull it out
as fast except a little that is lost from resistance.
      Could those who have done fast charging tell us their
results? Madman? Or maybe someone could do tests or find the
old ones? Anyone want to take a stab at it?
      How would one do such a test without doing it 10+
times to average out?
      Would just measuring temp increase rate work? One
would probably need an E meter to measure in, out. I could
do that but I don't have an E meter.
      Did my all composite trailing arm rear suspension
yesterday. Hopefully it will come out of the mold without
destroying the mold. Nothing but fire can probably destroy
the arm ;^D.
                        Thanks,
                              Jerry Dycus

>Of course, once you exceed 80% SOC, much more of the energy
>goes into  gassing and heating.
>
>Perhaps someone familiar with electrochemistry can explain
>what's really  going on here.
>

>David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
>EV List Administrator

Hello Jeff,

Way back in the 60's we paid about $500.00 for the set that came in a case.
Today, this type of crimper is over $2000.00  and is normally use for bench
work.  We now have a lighter type one hand operation that the lineman
prefer.

From: Danny Miller
I think you must be looking at the coulombmetric efficiency
-- amp-hrs in vs. amp-hrs out.

Agreed; lead-acid batteries are almost 100% efficient on an amphour in/out basis, as long as you stay between 20% and 80% SOC.

The actual energy efficiency depends on voltage. If you charge
a 12V battery at 14.4V for 5 amp-hrs then drain the 5 amp-hrs
at a 75 amp  rate, it may return those 5 amp-hrs at 12.6V.
That's 87.5% efficient.

You have the right idea, but the details are a bit off. 14.4v is above the gassing threshold, so the battery is close to 100% SOC, and will be losing energy to gassing.

If the battery was instead at 50% SOC, then it would only rise to about 13v while charging. Under load, it falls to 12.5v. The coulombmetric efficiency is essentially 100%, so the overall efficiency is about 12.5v/13v = 96%.

The voltage difference between charging and discharging is due to the internal resistance of the battery. In the above example, charging and discharging at 75a produced a 0.5v difference -- +0.25v on charge, -0.25v on discharge. So, this battery's internal resistance is R = 0.25v/75a = 0.0033 ohms (which happens to be the internal resistance of an Optima or Hawker AGM).

Note that these calculations are only approximate. There are lots of details that affect things (such as, the internal resistance is not really linear, it changes with state of charge and temperature, and there is hysteresis between charge and discharge).

Jerry Dycus wrote:
I don't think that is true as it would heat up instead
of cooling. I also think you will get out the 98-99% power
you put in as tests have shown, at least in the 15-80%
charge range we were talking about.

If heat is a useful "output", then you could count it. For instance, if the batteries are cold, the heat "lost" to internal resistance warms them up, which increases their capacity by more than the energy used to heat them. But for this to work, the battery has to be well insulated.

While you would discharge at a lower voltage, you could
discharge longer or at a higher amperage.

Charging/discharging at lower rates improves efficiency, by reducing the voltage drop across the internal resistance. You can't usually do much about discharge current; but you can charge slower to reduce charging losses. Don't go *too* far in this direction though -- you need a high enough current to actually reach full charge.

> If the battery was instead at 50% SOC, then it would only rise to about
> 13v while charging. Under load, it falls to 12.5v. The coulombmetric
> efficiency is essentially 100%, so the overall efficiency is about
> 12.5v/13v = 96%.

Perhaps I'm missing something since I haven't tried this (keeping the
battery at 50% SOC), but how are you coming up with 12.5V?  Every time
I've drained a  battery to 50% SOC it's voltage is much lower (like around
11-11.5 for a 12V batt), especially under load.  In fact the resting
voltage of a 50%SOC 12V battery isn;t even 12.5V.

Hmm, I found an article by home power with some charts in it.  According
to them, at the C/5 rate a 12V lead-acid battery at 50% SOC requires 13.4V
to charge (C/5) and produces 11.5V on discharge.
Their charts only go to C/5, but I'm pretty sure the numbers will change a
bit a 1C (like higher charge voltage and lower discharge)

http://www.homepower.com/files/battvoltandsoc.pdf

Remember, we were talking about using the batteries in a hybrid
application, that pretty much means 1C or higher charge/discharge rates.

Hi Martin,

  This MKF type Prestolite motor had a wire wound armature with soldered comm
connections, if memory serves me.  Probably not a good choice for the money and
work needed for drive bearing.  For the same money you should be able to get a
modern golf cart motor with brazed comm.  You'd have the same issue with the
bearing and shaft, but once that was done, a much more durable motor.  Too bad
someone hasn't developed a kit to convert the golf cart motor to a two bearing,
shaft out design.  With these guys souping up golf carts there are a lot of OE
motors around.

  Jeff

Martin K <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
  I realize Roderick talked about this motor previously:

Would it be possible to mount a bearing on the front of the motor? And
by "possible" I mean "little to no machining"
Or is it completely missing the front motor cap?
--
Martin K

> A basic question: how does the size of the traction area affect on
> traction? Does wide tire have more traction than a narrow one, or two
> tires vs one?

In normal applications, the width of the tire makes very little
difference.  If everything else remains the same; with a larger contact
patch you have the vehicles weight spread out over a larger area.  You end
up with less pressure per square inch, but more inches.
This helps a bit on dry sticking surfaces, but hurts on wet or snow
covered surfaces - you stay on top unstead of cutting through.

Hey Jim,  perhaps you have a used 6 or 7 inch motor you could offer these
guys a deal on?

If not, there is always eBay.

> [...]
>>  So
>> > by the time you rob Peter to pay Paul there might
>> be a
>> > better choice to be found.  Be patient and you'll
>> be
>> > pleased with what you get, rush to buy and it'll
>> sit
>> > in the garage for the next decade, lmao 8^P.
>> > Is there a particular reason you are looking at
>> this
>> > motor?  What project are you looking to use it in?
>> > Anyway that's my take, Hope it helps.
>> > Cya
>> > Jim Husted
>> > Hi-Torque Electric

> Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

> On 5 Feb 2007 at 20:16, Peter VanDerWal wrote:
>
>> For charge efficiency I normally figure an average of 11V on discharge
>> and
>> 13.8V on charge with 100% coulometric.  That gets us around 80%.

I didn't write that last part, someone else must have.
Batteries used in this manner (hybrid) actually heat up quite a bit.  I
remember reading a report a few years back done by Optima (I think)
talking about the amount of cooling a hybrid PbA pack requires.  I seem to
recall that it was a fair bit of active cooling required and they STILL
ran the pack at around 120 degrees case temperature (higher temps
increased efficiency, if you don't mind the loss in life span)

Has anyone ever rigged up a hammer crimper with a cheap hydraulic bottle
jack?
Seems like a cheap way to make a more reliable type of crimper.

Dennis

>Check the archives for "crimping" to get a full discussion X3 or X5.
>
>If you can weld, here is my suggestion:
>http://www.haritech.com/crimp.htm
>
>Folks have successfully used the hammer crimpers, but they are not
>ideal.]

However, we have sold them to Boeing, so I guess they must be ok.

Shari Prange
Electro Automotive POB 1113 Felton CA 95018-1113 Telephone 831-429-1989
http://www.electroauto.com [EMAIL PROTECTED] Electric Car Conversion
Kits * Components * Books * Videos * Since 1979

Osmo S. wrote:
Thank you Jerry, 2xTom, Jake for interesting responds. I´m trying to decide if benefits of a 3-wheeler are greater than drawbacks:

+simplicity
+costs
+distinctive looks

-handling peculiarities
-distinctive looks

More?

Look at R. Buckminster Fuller's "Dymaxion Car" for a fascinating example of a 3-wheeler. Be sure to read his patent on it -- there is a lot of good teaching in there about handling and stability.

Fundamentally, you need low CG (center of gravity), about in the center of the triangle formed by the wheel's contact patches. The rollover stability will be defined by the angle between the outside contact patch and the CG. This leads to having 2/3 the weight on the 2-wheel axle.

For traction, you want the 2-wheel axle to have the driven wheels. The Sparrow didn't, and so had traction problems.

If you steer with the one wheel, then you have low steering force because of the low weight on that wheel. This effect is exaggerated during hard braking (with one rear wheel) or during hard acceleration (with one front wheel).

On 7 Feb 2007 at 9:55, Osmo S. wrote:

>  I´m trying to
> decide if benefits of a 3-wheeler are greater than drawbacks:

IMO, the main advantage of trikes accrues to manfacturers, not to EV
hobbyists.

That is : a small manufacturer can actually build them and offer them for
sale in the US.  Defining them as a motorcycle allows them to bypass the
crushingly expensive FMVSS (safety) regulations.

Of course that means that, as the buyer, you get a vehicle that some would
no doubt call (at least relatively) unsafe, but you can't have everything. ;-
)