  1) RE: Hub Motors, was Re: Porsche invented the hub -mounted electric motor
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Hydrogen Electric Racing?
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Crimping Tool Choice
        by "Roy LeMeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Supercapacitor modules
        by "Andrew Kane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Busses, trains and Automobiles WAS Re: Hub Motors, was Re: Porsche
invented the hub -mounted electric motor
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) NO ATTACHMENTS or html please
        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Crimping Tool Choice
        by "peekay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) RE: EVLN(Lotus' 644hp E-SUV, 350mi range, 155mph top speed)
        by "Ian Ward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: [EV] Cleaner by the Dozen
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: 3-wheeler driving experiences / traction principles
        by Tom Parker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: EVLN(Lotus' 644hp E-SUV, 350mi range, 155mph top speed)
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: RE" Crimper
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: RE" Crimper
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: RE
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Hydrogen Electric Racing?
        by DM3 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: wiring size
 17) RE: wiring size
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: wiring size
HI- I also watched the show, I thought I heard the narrator say 250 mph??
The hyd-foolcell gocart didn't impress me much either. Several years ago
NEDRA discontinued go cart classes for safety reasons. But before that,
on lead acid batt. only: 144v.-102.71mph, 1/4ml.
                                     72v.-57.96 mph, 1/8ml.
                                      48v.-52.51mph, 1/8ml.
Father Time-
Vice Pres. NEDRA

From: "Dewey, Jody
>What is the name of the crimper?  A burdy?  Where can those be found?

Burndy.

From: Jeff Shanab
> I got the burdy crimper because the dies close all the way then release,
> a preset amount every time.

Yes; that's why you get more consistent results. These crimpers have a ratchet
that lets you close the handles, but not open them again until you have closed
them the "right" amount.

Regarding the strength to operate them; mine have handles 2 feet long. That's
one heck of a lot of leverage. I don't think it takes more than 20-30 lbs on
the handles to crimp even 2/0. It's about twice this for 4/0, but I rarely need
anything this heavy.

If I'm doing a bunch of crimps, I usually put one handle in the bench vice, so
I only need to pull on the one free handle. This frees up the other hand to
hold the wire and terminal in position.

> I wanted the heatshrink to make a good seal around the connector and
> the 360 degree burndy die makes a smooth crimp.

I usually use the thick-walled heatshrink that has hot glue inside it. The glue
melts when you shrink it, forming a much better seal over irregular surfaces.
--
Lee Hart

I agree, you can read what Jimmy had to say and post a reply at EVworld:
http://www.evworld.com/view.cfm?page=news&newsid=13908&url=
 mario

> > From: "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Hydrogen Electric Racing?
> Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 17:30:49 -0800
>
> Here is an article on Autobolg Green on this new organization:

http://www.autobloggreen.com/2007/01/11/hydrogen-electric-racing-federation-begins-competition-in-2009-w/

> Here is a particular line that rather ticked me off: "I'm confident that
> we
> will look back on this historic day and see it for the truly momentous
> event
> that it was -- the day when the Future of Racing was born." This was in
> reference to vehicles powered by electric motors. The quote is from
> Peter M.
> DeLorenzo, President and CEO of the Hydrogen Electric Racing Federation.
> am going to try and find contact information for him and give him a
> piece of
> my mind. This will obviously be a sport for multi millionaires as the
> current price of hydrogen fuel cells is in the millions and non of them
> put
> out the power levels you would need to do any serious racing. I
> certainly
> won't be holding my breath.
>
> Roderick Wilde

<shakes head>
Roland, at 200 amps a 2/0 cable drops about 0.5V regardless of pack
voltage.  You'll see the same voltage drop at 120V or 240V when carrying
200 amps.

Of course the cable size has NOTHING to do with battery sag which is what
you are describing.
Battery sag is related to the batteries and has nothing to do with what
size cables you use or how many connections there are, all that matters is
how much current you pull, the particulars of your battery (some batteries
sag less than others), and how well charged it is.

> I said the total run of 50 feet circuit length, which includes the 2/0
> cables, cable lugs,  batteries, battery links, contactors, shunts and
> controller. In my EV this is about 3 percent voltage drop in a EV 50 foot
> circuit which includes the battery links.
>
> I am running 50 feet of circuit length of which the voltage reads 192
> volts
> at no load, and at exactly 200 amp load, my battery voltage reads about
> 186
> volts which is about 3 percent volt drop of the applied voltage.  I read
> this ampere and voltage with four industrial meters and also the E-meter,
> and they read all the same.
>
> Roland

--- Begin Message --- I use 2 guage wiring on my motorcycle and it carries this many amps no problem, but because it is a motorcycle the overall length of the circuit is fairly short, probably around 10 feet.

damon

From: "Tim Gamber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: wiring size
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 20:32:42 -0700

is 1/0 wiring big enough to take 450 amps for short bursts and 100-200 amps continuous at 72 volts?

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=43.658648~-79.383962&style=r&lvl=15&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3702663&cid=7ABE80D1746919B4!1329
From January 26 to February 8, 2007

Search for grocery stores. Find gratitude. Turn a simple search into something more. http://click4thecause.live.com/search/charity/default.aspx?source=hmemtagline_gratitude&FORM=WLMTAG
We change out a feeder on a building that had 50 feet of No. Awg 6 wire from
the transformer, which was connected to about 100 feet of No. Awg. 10 to a
power outlet.  They had a 250 feet of No.12 AWG multi stranded copper wire
plug into this power out that ran to a 18 amp load.  They could not
understand why the voltage only read 90 volts!

There was too much voltage drop for the size of the conductors running 300
feet for that load.   We replace the largest ones we can get in the existing
conduit, so the voltage drop was now to about 115 volt.

Therefore the size of conductor made a difference at the same load of 18
amps at the same voltage.

If you apply the same voltage and ampere to different size conductors, the
smaller conductor will have more voltage drop. Every electrical work knows
this.

I think the problem we have, is that you said, changing the ampere and
distance at the same voltage results in a voltage drop which is true, while
I say the ampere and distance is constant, but a reducing the wire size
increases the voltage drop which is also true.

As electrical workers, we install many different length of conductors on a
20 amp circuit.  So we mainly think of the length of the circuit for that
size wire.  The preferred maximum run length of a No. 12 wire is 50 feet.
At and after 50 feet we use a No. 10 wire on a 20 amp circuit, even though
the No. 10 wire is rated for 30 amps.  A No. 8 wire is run for a maximum of
40 feet for a 40 amp circuit and so on.