        by "David Roden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: White Zombie History
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) RE: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Cor van de Water <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by "Peter Gabrielsson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: noob help
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Looking for a message in the archive and I can't find it
        by Matthew Milliron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Loud Hybrid Legislation (was: Re: Chain Noise Re: Personal Electric
Transport)
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: aero dynamics
        by Doug Weathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: aero dynamics
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) EV's on Boston Legal , Re: Free Publicity
        by "jerryd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Rich Long <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Speaking of Hybrids
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Chain Noise Re: Personal Electric Transport
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Frank John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Chain Noise Re: Personal Electric Transport
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) RE: Cost to drive a EV
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier -brake drag
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: aero dynamics
 21) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
 22) Car and Driver EV Racing Article Debute Delayed
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: HV 3Ph AC to get round 9Ah NiMH limit?
        by Martin Klingensmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) what does unsprung mass or weight mean?
        by "Jonathan Perret" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: White Zombie History
        by John Wayland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
 27) Re: what does unsprung mass or weight mean?
 28) Re: Brake Pressure Multiplier?
On 13 Feb 2007 at 0:00, Lee Hart wrote:

> How would people feel if I used drum brakes on the Sunrise kit car?

For some reason, I'm thinking of the Citicar - it started out with aircraft
disc brakes in front, but gave them up in favor of drums all round.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EV List Administrator

Note: mail sent to "evpost" or "etpost" addresses will not reach me.
To send a private message, please obtain my email address from
the webpage http://www.evdl.org/help/ .

Tim,
I've got my eye on the Curie 9-Plus "Race Case" for $392
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/gearcases.aspx#94028

The local junk yard has a heavy wall 9" housing with the 31 spline axles
hanging out of it for $80.
I would like to have known if it had the nodular iron "N" case in it, but it
has since been scavenged.  No matter though, I'd much
rather build up my own case.

I see you guys have been all up and down the gear ratios in the Zombie and
finally settled on 4.11.  Any thought of raising up
slightly to a 3.89 or so?  I'm wondering if you hit the 4.11 and a good
compromise for the torque on launch of the Siamese 8's.
If you had a bit more torque from a pair of WarP 9's do you think a 3.89 gear
would be an acceptable match to get a little more
top end speed?

Something else I didn't see is if the Zombie is running the HEPI assembly or a
Potbox?  I like the HEPI assembly in my truck and
wonder how the throttle response differs. Maybe Otmar can comment on which one
give the more aggressive response.

Thanks for the blood, sweat, and tears (and wasted plasma) by those who have
worked on the Zombie to give us such a good model of
excellence.

It won't be too long before you guys will have to travel to Alaska Raceway Park
to defend your titles (or take them back) from the
muy pronto Pinto :-)

Mike,
Anchorage, Ak.

Lee,

1.Drum brakes on the Sunrise is likely a very good idea,
as I cannot imagine someone racing it (the main reason
for disk brakes) and without power assist, but having
a low weight overall, drum brakes are a very good
choice, generally good to maintain all by ourself and
with either auto-adjust (ratchet on adjust screw) or
easy reachable manual adjust, should work very reliably.
Only issue I once had with a drum brake was when I tried
to back out of my driveway in freezing weather after I
parked the night before with wet brakes (it rained the
day before - this was in The Netherlands).
It took a bit of careful rocking the car back and forth
to break the frost and free the drum, so I could use
the car (with care, because the street was frozen).

I'd be happy to buy a Sunshine some day, drum brakes all
around! (Others can feel free to upgrade to disks and
vacuum assist)
Cor.

From: Nick

--
Lee Hart

The EV1 had a electro hydraulic disc brakes in addition to regen, the
brakes were indeed designed not to drag. Some info can be gleamed from
this PDF
http://www.thejaffes.org/rory/ev1/ev1.pdf

The GM EV1 had front disk brakes. I wonder how they were designed? It's
probably one of the rare vehicles where someone actually thought about the
problem, and may have tried to eliminate it.

How would people feel if I used drum brakes on the Sunrise kit car?

1. Great idea! Eliminates dragging brakes, and probably cheaper too.

2. Horrible idea! No one would even consider not having disk brakes nowdays.

--
Lee Hart

--
www.electric-lemon.com

If you look through the photo album and the links of
the individual builders, they have done a fair amount
of documentation on their builds.
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/type/MTCY And there is
one guy in the blogs of
http://www.electricmotorcycles.net that is building an
el ninja off of Bidwell's plans.

Specifically, if you want good reviews of the
Bidwell's el ninja or el chopper plans or where to
purchase them look at http://www.21wheels.com/ or
http://www.megawattmotorworks.com

--- Jay  wrote:

> Has anyone read through the el ninja documentation?
> I have only just become interested in all this in
> the last 2 days so im trying to suck up all the
> information I can.  I was thinking of building
> something really small first.  However I do work in
> the electrical industry, so I do have some idea of
> whats going on.  Anyone have any hints because I
> have been looking around the net and no one seems to
> be posting plans or a good break down on how they
> are building their vehicles. I have thus far only
> found 2 main pages they are
> http://jerryrig.com/convert/ and
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/build most of the
> others just talk how good they are and how smart
> they are, but no plans or anything described in
> detail.  Anything would be very helpful
>
> Thanks

> Live Search: Better results, fast
> http://get.live.com/search/overview

TV dinner still cooling?
http://tv.yahoo.com/

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 03:27:12 -0800 (PST), you wrote:

>I am looking for the message that Lee wrote describing his battery shunts.

Here's a pictorial step by step
http://controller.junkymagi.com/Zener_Regs.pdf

R. Matt Milliron
1981 Jet Electrica
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/702
My daughter named it, "Pikachu". It's yellow and black,
electric and contains Japanese parts, so I went with it.

On Feb 13, 2007, at 9:36 PM, Kip C. Anderson wrote:

I swear I'm not making this up, but I can't find any reference to it now and don't recall the source:.

Wall Street Journal, via Salon.

<http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB117133115592406662 -4gKiXEZVH0RXATvUvpkVpLUsbx8_20080213.html?mod=tff_main_tff_top>

or the tiny version:

<http://tinyurl.com/33qqsz>

I read just the other day that a blind advocacy group was actually attempting to get some legislation into play that would require vehicles to make a minimal amount of noise.

From the article:

"The National Federation of the Blind, an advocacy group, says all hybrid vehicles should emit a sound while turned on and is calling on the auto industry to make changes. The group says the sound should be loud enough to be heard over the din of other ambient noise."

So as noisy hybrids become more prevalent, the "din" gets louder, the volume knob on the hybrids must be turned up, and voila! we have a vicious circle of noise. Eventually the din drowns out everything else and the blind people might as well be deaf, too. This is just dumb, IMHO.

Hey, maybe you can't hear the hybrid because it's next to the city bus or the garbage truck or the honkytonk bar. How about legislation that makes everything else quieter i.e. stricter noise pollution laws?

Perhaps somebody can debunk this.  I'd rather it not come to be.

It hasn't happened yet. Hopefully it won't. Remember the bill that tried to ban box knives after 9/11? And if it does, hopefully it will be written to only apply to hybrids, which will make EVs look better.

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Lee Hart wrote:

I think it would help. You have a Bradley GT as I recall, which is fairly well streamlined on top. So streamlining the bottom would definitely help.

Bradley GTs are based on the Beetle chassis, which is already pretty streamlined underneath. You could probably stand to block off the underside of the engine compartment - you no longer need the airflow there to cool the ICE.

Or maybe not - aerodynamics are not necessarily intuitive. Ask Jerry Dycus.

Victor has details of the belly pan he put on his Honda CRX. Great web site, Victor!

<http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/pan.htm>

--
Doug Weathers
Las Cruces, NM, USA

          Hi Doug and All,

>On Feb 13, 2007, at 7:27 PM, Lee Hart wrote:
>
>> I think it would help. You have a Bradley GT as I recall,
>> which is  fairly well streamlined on top. So streamlining
>> the bottom would  definitely help.
>
>Bradley GTs are based on the Beetle chassis, which is
>already pretty  streamlined underneath.  You could probably
>stand to block off the  underside of the engine compartment
>- you no longer need the airflow  there to cool the ICE.

     While a VW chassis is much better, it can usually be
helped. Aero is funny sometimes a a little thing can change
a large area. And since it's rather cheap to do, give it a
try in controlled conditions, ie no wind, similar temps,
same road, same speed to see if it has the desired effect.
     Or do coast down tests to see power required before and
after. You'll have to ask others for that technic details.
     It would probably reduce snow drag too since a Bradley
GT is so low if you drive in it.
                                Jerry Dycus

>Or maybe not - aerodynamics are not necessarily intuitive.
>Ask Jerry  Dycus.
>
>Victor has details of the belly pan he put on his Honda
>CRX.  Great web  site, Victor!
>
><http://www.metricmind.com/ac_honda/pan.htm>
>
>--
>Doug Weathers
>Las Cruces, NM, USA
>http://www.gdunge.com/

          Hi Sean and All,

From: Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 22:19:26 -0800

From: Nick

Check out all that glitters with the MSN Entertainment Guide to the Academy Awards® http://movies.msn.com/movies/oscars2007/?icid=ncoscartagline2
> Or maybe not - aerodynamics are not necessarily intuitive.  Ask Jerry
> Dycus.

Im confused, are you serious or poking fun at Jerry?
Because Jerry claims that he DOES intuitively know aerodynamics, that is
how he can state with authority what the Cd of his various vehicles is
without having to take measurements or perform calculations.

> The GM EV1 had front disk brakes. I wonder how they were designed? It's
> probably one of the rare vehicles where someone actually thought about the
> problem, and may have tried to eliminate it.

I seem to recall that they redisigned the seals slightly to give a bit
more pull-back.  I think they might have used the extra brake travel for
regen.
Might be worth looking into what some of the more efficient hybrids are
doing.

> How would people feel if I used drum brakes on the Sunrise kit car?

How about a compromise, drums in the back and discs in front?

1/2 the drag and all the stopping power.

I had been assured by the editors at Car and Driver, that the anticipated EV racing story was slated for the April issue that's about to hit the stands in the next week or two...then I got the phone call. For whatever reason, the story got bumped I'm now told, to the May issue :-( It was sad news for me, as White Zombie is returning to the Portland Roadster show this year and will be on display at the Oregon Convention Center March 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. With the April issue to be on the stands at the same time, the timing 'was' perfect! There's nothing better, than to have your car in a BIG show while at the same time, it is featured in a major magazine.... oh well.

The good news, is that Bill Dube's exciting Killacycle is in the current April issue of Hot Rod magazine! Congrats to Bill and the crew for their recent success.

See Ya.....John Wayland

360v * 9Ah = 3.24kWh
Significantly less useful. Now maybe you could parallel the battery
strings when driving and charge the two (or 3) strings separately..
--
Martin K

brougham Baker wrote:
> I'm new to this, and haven't seen/found any mention of this elsewhere so I
> guess I must be missing something.
>
> I've seen the 9Ah artificial limit on NiMH cells and have read that they
> don't like being paralleled at all. So I was thinking, high volt system like
> about 360v (300 cell string) At 9Ah cells would give a 3240kWh pack, not a
> lot really but how about if the inverter was split so you could have one
> string per phase. Is this possible? Is it easy to mod the inverter? This
> would give a fairly useable pack of 9720kWh.
>
> I've found some 9Ah Sanyo D size Cells that will do High discharge rates
> (their pdf has graphs for over 5C discharge rate). They only have a 100% DoD
> chart that doesn't drop till 500 cycles but no charts for lower DoD. A 3
> string pack of 300 cells per string would weigh 160 kg for unpacked cells.
>
> Each cell is 34mm in diameter and 59.3mm tall- for 900 cells I make this 0.2
> cu ft in size (that seems far too small.
>
> I haven't been able to get a good price though- one small volume supplier
> I've found would want £10,728 (~21k USD) so a moot point really.
>
> Brougham
>
> "I'm sick and tired of hearing that 'health and safety' is stopping people
> doing worthwhile and enjoyable things. If you're using health and safety to
> stop everyday activities, get a life and let others get on with theirs."
> Bill Callaghan (Health and Safety Commission chair)

I have a basic mechanical question:

in discussions about direct drive electric motors it's often mentioned
that one of the design problems (or drawbacks) to this approach
is that the motor (presents) an unsprung mass (or weight) (to the wheel?)

can someone explain what this refers to / what it means and potential
work-arounds / solutions?

I'm interested in pursuing front wheel direct drive

I asked a friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer
(and BTW a self-styled genius) and he wasn't familiar with the term.

thanks,

Jonathan

Thanks for this post Dennis. I'm glad you and everyone else who's reported on stumbling into the new link, seems to like it. It's been a lot of work, believe me! There's a lot more stuff to put up, especially in the more recent year sections, so I hope my list friends will check in every once in a while to see the newest pictures and additions. I work on it nightly and a lot on the weekends.

I've wanted to do this for some time, but the soon-to-be-released Car and Driver magazine article is what's really prompted me to get it done. With over 10 million readers and with the Plasma Boy web page address clearly placed in the middle of the piece for all to see, the number of hits on the site will be very large. I want all those new to hi pro EVs to be able to get up to speed (pun intended), and I feel a history of the car is a great way to accomplish this.

Plea for pictures...it's hard to believe, but I'm having a hard time finding pictures of the Kostov motor under the Zombie's hood. It's really odd, as I've found rare pictures from the mid eighties when the car was a stock econocar gas machine, pictures of when I had it set up as a lowered street import with a 120+hp 10,400 rpm built 1200cc four banger and an autocross capable suspension system, pictures of it when it was entered in sound-off competitions, and all other kinds of stuff up through the mid 90's that I didn't remember having. That 11 inch motor was in there from '97 through 2000, and yet, I cannot dig up any more under-hood pictures than the two not-so-clear installation pictures I have at the '97 page :-( At all the Woodburn EVents during this period, there were lots of folks with cameras, so I know 'somebody' out there must have some great photos we could use. Anyone?

All photos of any version of the car, whether recent or from back years, would be greatly appreciated and can only help make the 'White Zombie History' better. Not all pictures received will make it to the pages, but those I feel will add something, will.

Thanks for the interest, everyone!

See Ya....John 'Plasma Boy 'Wayland

Pestka, Dennis J wrote:

Just looked at the new "White Zombie History" link on John Waylands
Website.
Fantastic !
Thanks for all the time spent to put "that" together.
Really helps you appreciate all the time and engineering that went into
getting to where you are today.

Great Job !

Dennis
Elsberry, MO

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/reviews.php

> When ya'll buy special stepped cylinders, might I also suggest "multi
> fire"
> spark plugs... guaranteed to increase your MPG and performance by 20%???
> <vbg>

Yeah, I was going to get some of those, but they don't make the correct
size for my electric truck yet.

Ok for the moment we'll ignore the fact that car size hub motors are
basically unavailable.

The main part of the car is "sprung" it rides on the suspension and
doesn't move up/down (much) when you hit a bump.

Unsprung mass is the weight in the wheels, tires. axle, etc. that is not
carried by the suspension.
I.e. it's the mass that HAS to move up/down when you hit a bump regardless
of how good your shocks/springs are.

This is bad for efficiency because it takes energy to move mass. Some (but
not all) of this energy is stored in the springs.  The rest is wasted as
heat in the shocks (that's their job).  The more comfortable the ride, the
more energy that gets wasted.

Its bad for handling because the more mass you have that is unprung, the
harder it is to keep it on the ground when you are on a bumpy road.  If
the mass is high enough, and the suspension is soft enough, and the bump
is harsh enough, then the wheel can actually leave the road temporarily.
If the wheel isn't on the road, then it can' provide any cornering or
stopping ability.t
Even if the wheel doesn't actually leave the road, if the downward
pressure drops (sort of half leaving the road) then the cornering and
braking are decreased.

You can stiffen up the springs to help hold the wheels down, but then more
of the bumps get transfered to the vehicle, which makes it more
uncomfortable.  I think this also reduces efficiency since even more mass
is being made to move.

Probably the best work around is to mount the motor to the chasis at an
inboard location and drive the wheel through a drive shaft.  This takes up
a bit more room, but makes the motor 'sprung' weight.  Of course you still
have the problem with finding a motor that can direct drive the wheel.
These are extremely expensive which makes them basically unavailable.
So you need to add a gearbox or something to reduce the motor's RPM to
something appropriate for the wheels.  Probably in the neighborhood of a
5:1 reduction.

If you are going to go with individual motors for each wheel, then you'll
need individual gearboxes.  This will take up more room and wieght.  So
you are better off using a single larger motor (probably more efficienct
than multiple small motors) and a single larger gearbox (lighter than
multiple gearboxes) and split the drive force to the wheels using a
differential.

Hmm, this seems to be the way that most folks build EVs.

> in discussions about direct drive electric motors it's often mentioned
> that one of the design problems (or drawbacks) to this approach
> is that the motor (presents) an unsprung mass (or weight) (to the wheel?)
>
> can someone explain what this refers to / what it means and potential
> work-arounds / solutions?
>
> I'm interested in pursuing front wheel direct drive
>

> I asked a friend of mine who is a mechanical engineer
> (and BTW a self-styled genius) and he wasn't familiar with the term.
>
> thanks,
>
> Jonathan

That's what my EV uses, disc brakes in the front and drums in the back.  In
mixing these two brake systems, normally all cars have a proportional valve
that equalize the pressure to the front brakes and the rear brakes.

In this type of braking system, there are two lines coming from the master
brake cylinder that goes to the proportional valve.  One line is the
pressure line and the other line is a relief line which is smaller, that
returns the brake fluid.

There are two separate front brake lines that come from the proportional
valve and one larger line that goes to the rear brake drums.

Sometimes the proportional valve is use for front and rear brakes.

The brake bleeding order is to bleed the 1st one closes to the proportional
valve and proceed to the brake that is further from the proportional valve.