  1) RE: Tango lane splitting
        by "James  Allgood" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Zilla for the newbie
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available
        by "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Sunrise: Midnight
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) EVs/nEVs/parts for sale on the web
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Zilla for the newbie?
        by john fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: PFC-30 Documentation Error?
        by "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: Blind EVs
        by Chip Gribben <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Please get us some more cars to plug in!
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) any suggestions for traction pack powered accessory fuses?
        by Paul Wallace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) US Batts & Trojan Charge Profile
        by "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: any suggestions for traction pack powered accessory fuses?
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Of USBattery and Trojans
        by TiM M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: US Batts & Trojan Charge Profile
        by Mark Brueggemann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: Questions on EV
 17) Re: Questions on EV
 18) EVLN(125 Bottles of Wine in the Dr. Seuss nEV)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) EVLN(think.no is hiring)
        by bruce parmenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) RE: US Batts & Trojan Charge Profile
Oops, sorry, I meant to take this off-list and to email only. Pardon the
mistake.

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: [electric_vehicles_for_sale] (fwd) VECTRIX Demo Bike Now Available
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 10:35:35 -0700

Recently, I have been wondering if there was anything I could do, from my remote location away from Lee and his Sunrise project or Jerry and his Freedom EV, with the limited funds. I would be willing to find some time, but being away from the happenings, makes me think that it isn't possible. But if there is, just let me know.

Brian

 On Mon Feb 26 11:06 , Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>David Roden wrote:
> > Not to be too negative, but I have to say that over 40 years of
> > watching the EV business, I've seen a typical sequence of events
> > occur again and again, with only minor variations.
> >
> > The EV builder starts out with the best of intentions...
> > He develops a good first prototype... the project picks up speed...
> > you can't wait to buy one... the price is only a little higher
> > than an equivalent ICEV.
> >
> > The project gets closer to production... they discover hidden
> > costs... legislative compliance and legal concerns... need new
> > employees or consultants or outside services to handle them.
> >
> > To satisfy investors, the price doubles or triples... the list
> > of potential buyers suddenly shrinks... investors lose interest...
> > funding dries up...
>
>And the downward spiral continues. The company goes out of business,
>having delivered little or nothing.
>
>All so very true, David! That's one of the things that scares me about
>this Sunrise project. I've watched this sort of price inflation happen
>many times; often to bright people that are a lot smarter than I am.
>
>The challenge is to find ways to avoid this trap. On one hand, I want to
>talk about the Sunrise because I need help in so many areas, and there
>are so many great minds on this list. But on the other, I don't want to
>create unreasonable expectations, blow it up with hot air, and take
>people's money for nothing.
>--
>Ring the bells that still can ring
>Forget the perfect offering
>There is a crack in everything
>That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard Cohen
>--
>Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377, leeahart_at_earthlink.net

---- Msg sent via @=WebMail - http://webmail.usu.edu/

Want a degree but can't afford to quit? Top school degrees online - in as fast as 1 year http://forms.nextag.com/goto.jsp?url=/serv/main/buyer/education.jsp?doSearch=n&tm=y&search=education_text_links_88_h288c&s=4079&p=5116
[Do a Craigslist search for your area - below is for the SF area]
EVs

2002 Toyota RAV 4 EV - *VERY RARE* All Electric vehicle - $62250
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/car/285448700.html

Electric Van, 1985 Griffon, Rare British Import - $6500 (Sonora)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/283754114.html

nEVs

2001 GEM Electric car with longbed - $5500 (san jose south)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/car/284936121.html

2005 GEM e2 electric car - $4500 (berkeley)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/car/283612149.html

EV parts

Electric Vehicle Parts - $1000 (berkeley north / hills)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/pts/282019955.html

Selling ICE parts - converting donor to Electric

1967 Jaguar e-type/420 4.2l complete engine and trans - $1500
(sunset / parkside)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/pts/284364251.html

---

On eBay.com - search "electric vehicle"

Toyota : RAV4 All Electric 2002 Silver Toyota RAV-4 Electric
Vehicle *VERY RARE*  $44,100.00

Ford : Ranger EV NIMH Ford Ranger EV - Electric Vehicle (RARE)
$20,100.00

Ford : Ranger All Electric 2000 White Ford Ranger Electric Vehicle
*VERY RARE* $12,100.00

Chrysler 2005 GEM E4 ELECTRIC VEHICLE 4 PASSENGER CHRYSLER CAR
$9,000.00

[Xebra] - The Commuter NEW- 3 Wheel All Electric Vehicle - Street
Legal $8,000.00

---

"electric vehicle" for sale

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu4t0beRF5lMBo1VXNyoA?p=%22electric+vehicle%22+for+sale

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu4t0beRF5lMBo1VXNyoA?p=%22electric+vehicles%22+for+sale

"electric car" for sale

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu4t0beRF5lMBo1VXNyoA?p=%22electric+car%22+for+sale

http://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=A0geu6x3buRFoCwAWTtXNyoA?p=%22electric+cars%22+for+sale

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

How much flow do you need at what voltage and AC or DC?
I *may* have some ideas.
FWIW dept.

John

Jeff Shanab wrote:
I have a 4000lb vehicle pushed by a warp 9 mated to the stock tranny. I
have experimented with a few cooling systems

1) I bought a jabsco water pump from the boat store. 2) I got a swiftech MCP-350. Will try a 120mm Fan this summer,

You are reading the old BETA only instructions.
That should have been taken off the site years ago.

Try relaoding it.
And the current instructions are shipped with the chargers.

SW1,2,3 are now the big 8 section Dip switch seen in all the photo graphs.

Dip switch   section 3,4 are Reg start of timer and Regstart latch of timer.
They are both set to on to have the regs start the timer and release the
latch.

All chargers are shipped with 1,3,4 on rest of the eight switches are off.

Rich Rudman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Manzanita Micro
360-297-7383,
Cell 360-620-6266
Production shop 360-297-1660

From: "Rich Rudman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:18:56 -0800

Man this pisses me off. We work like heck to have a silent powerfull
drive
train.. and then the safety NAZIS step in and complain that if a Blind
man... What a about Deaf???

There is always somebody that fan find something wrong with what ever is
not normal.

Clearly.. I won't be adding backup beepers or flashing lights just to
make
some group safer.

All vehicles have horns and lights, USE them when you see somebody about
make a mistake. And Oh Yea that's what brakes are for!!!

I have snuck up on many folks.. it's kinda fun. In the drag lanes nobody steps un front of the lit off Gasser, But they just back up and walk into
EV with a LOT more torque on tap than the Guys using Explosions to move
thier Sled.

NPR can find a problems with a nice Sunny Day in May.

Rich -

NPR doesn't make the laws here in the US.  They just report the news.
This
was news.

If you don't like a law ( or proposed law) write your congressman. Don't
blame the messenger- or, complain to us.

And, it had been refreshing not to hear about Nazis all the time since
Neon
John dropped out of sight.
If we could all refrain from name-calling, it would reduce the noise on
this
loop.

Phil

Reading:

-
http://www.24dash.com/environment/17177.htm
[...]
The city council has already led the way in encouraging
environmentally friendly travel with the installation of the only
free on-street electric car charging points in the country.

If successful the two trial points, based at Covent Garden, will
lead to a roll-out of on street charging points across the capital.

[...]
-

I suggest that UK EVrs contact the Westminster City Council to find
out what would qualify as 'the EV charging spots were successful'.
Then do what it takes to prove more EV charging locations need to
be installed. You have an opportunity over several months to prove
this to the ones who have the $$$$ to install public EV charging.

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

--- Begin Message --- Currently, I'm using the little glass or ceramic 3AG style fuses for the heater and DC/DC converter and all the connections to the emeter. These fuses are rated at 250 volts. The traction pack voltage is nominal 144vdc.

Now that I'm considering going up into the 350vdc range, I'll need fuses for this application rated for at least 400 volts. I've checked Bussman and Littlefuse, but so far, I've not found any small fuses that will work in this application.

What are others using for accessory fuses at these high voltages?

Paul Wallace

Hi Folk,s

  Both are wrong, 2A is too low and 11A is too high.  The final taper at
dv/dt=0 should be .01V per cell per hour + stop at 2.58V 5.5A per cell (per Jim
Drizos previous engineer at Trojan) This is the recipe I used for designing my
charger US patent number 6,218,812 www.uspto.gov .  The C/40 rate is the best
as recommended by Michael Hackleman in his EV book, that's 5.5A for a 220ah
battery whether it's lead from Trojan or USbattery or Exide.

  Have a rechargeable day,
  Mark

        Date:  Tue, 27 Feb 2007 06:30:56 -0800 (PST)    From:  "Mark
Brueggemann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    Subject:  Of USBattery and Trojans    To:
ev@listproc.sjsu.edu    Plain Text Attachment [ Scan and Save to Computer |
Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]

  Numerous folks have inquired about the difference  between USB and Trojan
batteries I referenced in   my recent EV Bashing posts, so I dug out the
original  email exchange between Nawaz Qureshi and myself  to find out the
specifics.  I have trimmed the post  to the essential details:    First, the
exchange before the purchase:    Nawaz wrote:     I used to work for Trojan for
11 years. While they are   good batteries, US are superior for using better
alloy,   having extra electrolyte space on top, using heavier   assembly
components (our equivalent batteries weigh  more) among many many other better
features. In addition,   as the postings on this list indicate, we do our best
to   help EV people.    ...    Sounds good so far.    Now, fast forward about a
year:    Mark B wrote:    Around 8 months of service I noticed a reduction in
range   and after verifying my charge cycle could not explain it.    I was
definitely getting less Ah's out of the batteries   than when new.
     Around the 10 month point my range was reduced to just   over half of new.
 I began monitoring my charge profile on   almost every cycle and keeping a
careful log of driving   distance and charging kWh's.    At the 12 month point
my range is down to less than 16 miles,   less than half of new.  An
interesting trend I've noticed   at this point is if the vehicle is driven to
the point it   can no longer maintain speed and left to sit for three hours,
static voltage and specific gravity measurements *both*   indicate an
approximate 60% SOC.  It's almost as though the     paste is isolated from the
electrolye.  I noted numerous   cells had dark electrolyte and knew then there
was something     seriously wrong.    ...my daily charge is a bulk charge at
28A to approximately 172V  (2.38VPC) then taper down to a cut off at 2A, which
ends up   around 178V (2.47VPC).  Every ten cycles or so I disable the   cutoff
and do an equalize charge for 4 hours, where the voltage
 climbs to 182V (2.53VPC) and about 2A.  Water usage appeared   completely
normal, about a gallon a month for 24 batteries.      I find it hard to believe
the charge cycle is the main culprit,   as it seemed quite compatible with the
Trojan T125 and T105   batteries I had in the past.       Nawaz replied:    you
should have obtained better life that. You did not because   of the following:
  [Key Statement:]    * We have had a lot problems with people assuming that a
charger   good for Trojans should always be compatible with US. Not so. *    I
am glad you mentioned the actual charge numbers, and it is   clear that the
batteries were consistently undercharged causing   shedding and sulfation.
The recommended end of charge Voltage for US products is 2.583   Volts per
cell, or 186 Volts for your 144 Volt nominal system,   and must be held there
for two to four hours.    Charging is so critical, that they US2200's have gone
1206   cycles (@75A. 100% DOD) today and they are
 still not failed   yet. I would challenge any Trojan product to that.    Mark
then asked:     >> recommended end of charge Voltage... is 2.583 Volts per
>> cell, ... must be held there for two to four hours.   >    > In my
experience I would consider that an equalize charge. At   > least with Trojans,
anything above 2.5VPC the battery is   > gassing heavily and will eventually
heat up. What then    > consitutes an equalize charge for USB's? Do USB's gas
at a    > different voltage than other lead acids?    US battery recommends
equalization: after normal charge, use a   constant current power source with
no Voltage limits, and charge   the set at C/20 rate. Start taking hourly
Voltage readings. Your   set is equalized when the three consecutive Voltage
readings are   within 0.004 Volts per cell. Voltage control will not equalize
them well enough    [Comment: C/20 is 11A, with no voltage limit.  Who
equalizes  their packs at 11A for 2-4 hours?]      Then, Nawaz added
 to this previous comment:     >>Charging is so critical, that they US2200's
have gone 1206    >>cycles (@75A. 100% DOD) today and they are still not failed
yet.    >>I would challenge any Trojan product to that.     This charge profile
is proprietary this time.    [Comment: In other words, it's not reproduceable
outside  of a lab environment.]      Nawaz's final statement:    USBMC sells
about three thousand batteries per day, and   growing like.  We have problems
as you you describe with our   products, we would be and indeed should be, out
of business.  Trojan gas a lot more and spew acid on top of batteries   because
of their higher antimony 6% (5% for the USBMC) alloy   for the positive grids.
The gas more and a lower Voltage.    Hope this helps.    *****End of post    It
would've been nice to know some of those details before  I bought the USB's, I
had no idea the charge cycle was so  aggressive.  Several here have commented
that the USB's have  too aggressive a
 charge algorithm as well, so it's not just  me.  For all I know the USB's are
every bit as good as   Nawaz attests, but to achieve that performance requires
a  careful review of your charging system and charge profile.  It's a $2400
experiment I'm not willing to repeat.    Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM  S-10 EV

Hello Paul,

I use Bussman Tron fuses that are rated for 500 volts and below.  These are
FNQ type that are 0.1 to 30 amps rating in the 1.5 inch length by 1/2 inch
diameter.

I use a Littelfuse fuse holder No. L60030M  that is 600v-30A rated which is
chassis mounted and you can interlock them to gang any length you want. You
can also get a panel mounted type, but these are normally special order. The
chassis mounted type are normally in stock at a electrical supply house.

You can also get these items from www.surplussales.com

> Currently, I'm using the little glass or ceramic 3AG style fuses for the
> heater and DC/DC converter and all the connections to the emeter.  These
> fuses are rated at 250 volts.  The traction pack voltage is nominal
> 144vdc.
>
> Now that I'm considering going up into the 350vdc range, I'll need fuses
> for this application rated for at least 400 volts.  I've checked Bussman
> and Littlefuse, but so far, I've not found any small fuses that will
> work in this application.
>
> What are others using for accessory fuses at these high voltages?
>
> Paul Wallace

Maybe I should give Trojan a try on my second pack? I
used their more "aggressive" charging recommendations
and my pack appears to be dying an early death....

TiM

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

--- "Mark E. Hanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>   Both are wrong, 2A is too low and 11A is too high.

Someone needs to tell US Battery, this is what their applications
engineer is saying.

Mark "EV Basher" Brueggemann
Albuquerque, NM
S-10 EV

> A converted Porsche 914 (as mentioned
> in the original posting) might require 3,000 watts or more to run down the
> road, so the difference is dramatic.

Umm, at only 3,000 watts, that 914 isn't going to be "running"...walking
or jogging maybe.

I'm guessing that 3,000 watts is good for about 10-15 mph.

I think you'd be better off simply removing the weak battery.  By the time
a battery needs "propping up" it's pretty much shot.  Trying to keep it
running is likely to result in an acid volcano.

> What if you used a solar panel to prop up the weakest battery in the
> string? Let's say you have 19 batteries that can go 30 miles, and 1 that
> can only go 15 miles. You can only drive the car 15 miles. You prop that
> battery up with solar panels while the car is parked all day, and get a
> few more miles. The solar panels could even help while driving, relieving
> the load on the bad battery by 5 or 10 amps. The downside is you need a
> fairly $ophisticated BMS to do this.

[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.napavalleyregister.com/articles/2007/02/27/features/food_and_wine/doc45dda52b3cc2e834940889.txt
Landmarks at Spottswoode  By JACK HEEGER Register Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 27, 2007
This is a big year for the Novak family and their Spottswoode
Estate Vineyard & Winery.

The 25th anniversary of the family winery’s founding will be
celebrated in 2007, and so will the 125th anniversary of the
founding of the estate on which the vineyard is located and the
75th birthday of matriarch Mary Novak.

The family is celebrating in style. They kicked it off with a
vertical tasting of all 25 vintages of Spottswoode cabernet
sauvignon for about 80 of the most prestigious sommeliers and
wine writers from around the country this week, and they’re
taking the show on the road with similar trade tastings in Los
Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, New York and London.

All 25 vintages will be in Spottswoode’s lot in this year’s
Auction Napa Valley and five bottles of each — 125 bottles in
all, symbolic of the estate’s 125th anniversary — will be offered
in an electric car that will represent the winery’s continuing
contribution to a “greener” environment.

But Mary Novak doesn’t plan anything special for her milestone
birthday in September and gave an emphatic “No!” when laughingly
asked by her daughter Beth Milliken, “Do you mean you don’t want
to jump out of a birthday cake?” She’s definitely keeping it low
key.
[...]
Certified organic
In 1990 the estate was certified by the California Certified
Organic Farmers, and this has contributed to the quality,
consistency and flavors of the wine, Milliken said. Now, she and
Novak are looking past organic, and are examining the concept of
biodynamic farming.
[...]
The family has been aggressive in supporting the environment.
Novak purchased a red electric car described as looking “a bit
like a Dr. Seuss vehicle.” An identical car will be loaded with
the 125 bottles in the Auction Napa Valley lot.
[...]
We want to establish Spottswoode as one of the finest (wine)
estates in the world,” she said. “We want to maintain the ability
to grow if it makes sense to us, but not grow for the sake of
growth. This is an incredible piece of property, and we’re lucky
to be stewards of it.”       Copyright © 2007 Lee Enterprises
-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=
. http://geocities.com/brucedp/
. EV List Editor, RE & AFV newswires
. (originator of the above ASCII art)
===== Undo Petroleum Everywhere

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

EVLN(think.no is hiring)
[The Internet Electric Vehicle List News. For Public EV
informational purposes. Contact publication for reprint rights.]
--- {EVangel}
http://www.think.no/content.php?id=31
Jobs in Think Technology and Think Global
With the launch of the new TH!NK city in 2007, Think Technology
and Think Global are building an organisation to meet the
exciting challenges ahead.  Because of the number of applications
received, however, we will only consider applications sent via
the "apply here" link in the following job descriptions:
[...]
Think Technology AS, 1930 Aurskog, Norway
Contact: Ole Fretheim, Managing Director

[openings]

Plant Manager
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=74

Quality Assurance Manager
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=82

IT Manager
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=83

Human Resources Manager
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=75

Engineering and Product Development
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=79

Finance and Accounting Manager
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=85

Purchasing and Logistics Officers
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=84

General Application
 http://www.think.no/content.php?id=80
To send an open application to Think, please send an application
via the following link:

APPLY HERE
http://capus.websys-rekruttering.no/wsr_Recruitment?rId=5206D592BFAF26DFCB8C2E30D5028BE

-

Bruce {EVangel} Parmenter

' ____
~/__|o\__
'@----- @'---(=

Mark E. Hanson wrote:

>   Both are wrong, 2A is too low and 11A is too high.  The
> final taper at dv/dt=0 should be .01V per cell per hour +
> stop at 2.58V 5.5A per cell (per Jim Drizos previous engineer
> at Trojan) This is the recipe I used for designing my charger
> US patent number 6,218,812 www.uspto.gov .  The C/40 rate is
> the best as recommended by Michael Hackleman in his EV book,
> that's 5.5A for a 220ah battery whether it's lead from Trojan
> or USbattery or Exide.

Am I the only one that finds it amusing when someone argues that the
charging recommendations offered by the vice-president of engineering
for his own company's products are incorrect?  It brings to mind an
expression of my father's about arguing with a signpost and taking the
wrong road home... ;^>

Oddly, I don't rely on USBMC to advise me on how to charge Valence
product, nor A123 Systems on the proper charging of Trojans, nor Trojan
on proper charging of USBMC product, etc.; I consult the engineers at
the company that make the batteries I am interested in charging.

Mark is quite right that C/40 is a very good finish rate; both US
Battery and Trojan agree on this.  If you finish at a rate much above
this you risk shedding active material from the plates; if you finish at
a rate much below this, you will not achieve the required electrolyte
mixing.  (USBMC did not suggest finishing at 11A; C/10 was recommended
as an equalise charge.)

Trojan and US Batteries *do* use different formulations and so benefit
from different charge strategies and respond differently to charging.
They have different recommendations for the dV/dt termination criteria,
although Mark's 0.01V/cell is a resonable compromise that can work for
both.

Another charging requirement of the US Battery product is that the bulk
charge rate not be significantly less than C/10.  For instance, if you
are running US125s, USBMC wants you to be charging them with at least
20A (or so), which requires a minimum of a 120VAC 30A outlet for a 120V
pack.  Failure to observe this minimum bulk current requirement can
apparently result in softening and premature shedding of active
material.  Trojan product apparently doesn't behave this way, so if you
do not have a charger that can satisfy the USBMC charge requirements,
you might be better off using Trojan batteries.