  1) Re: Milestones: Carbon fiber and blogs
        by Thomas Ward <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Milestones: Carbon fiber and blogs
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Batteries for the Newbie!
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Small guage wires on ADC motor, temp sensor?
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dana Havranek)
  5) Re: Invention to  cool the inside of a car.
        by "Marty Hewes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Make it
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: EV Scooter
  8) Re: Invention to  cool the inside of a car.
  9) DVD & your project
        by Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Make it
 11) Re: 55mph, an' Stuff.
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: DVD & your project
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: EV Scooter
 14) Re: 55mph
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Make it
        by Mike Chancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: 55mph
        by "Christopher Robison" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) hey can anyone help me with batteries and construction
        by "gulabrao ingle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message --- As I understand although GRP is in general initially much stronger than carbon fibre the fatigue performance of GRP is poor, so realistically the carbon fibre is stronger.

Having said that all the carbon fibre I have used has been unidirectional and its very hard to work with, so unless the work is designed and carried by someone experienced in using carbon fibres the GRP may actually end up stronger even after accounting for loss of strength due to fatigue. I guess this the same as what you are saying Jerry?

jerryd wrote:

       A good layup person with a putty spreader can make a
FG layup at less weight, more strength than a bad layup of
CF.  As you do more you will see how.

Carbon fiber is rarely used by itself, usually it is used in conjunction
with kevlar.
These are the perview mostly of high end race cars and aircraft because,
with special techniques, they allow getting that last 10% -20% weight
reduction for the strength.

some trivia
Carbon fiber is very stiff and very brittle, kevlar(arimid fiber) is
very tough but flexible. The two can complement each other.
Carbon fiber cannot touch aluminum. It starts a galvanic action
corroding away the aluminum, regular S-glass is used to isolate.
Carbon fiber and kevlar are hard to work with compared to glass and are
usually used with pre-preg(Pre-impregnated cloth with controlled amount
of gelled resin)
Thermal expansion of CF can become an issue
The technique used to make a race car tube is:
    layup in mold the outer skin, many layers at different angles.
Consolidate and cure(put a vacuum bag on it and put it in an autoclave)
       autoclave: oven under 140psi nitrogen, think pressurecooker,
nitrogen is because O2 at temp pressure with materials = explosive
oxidation!
    Lay in a layer of neat resin(resin gel sheet without any fiber)
    Lay in Aluminum or Nomex Honeycomb and mounting blocks. Short
Consolidate and cure.
       This use of neat resin and pre-pregs is how they avoid filling
the honeycomb with resin while still getting full bonding.
    Lay in Inner skin of multiple layers at different angles and throw
it back in the autoclave again.
Through this they get the optimal resin to fiber ratio for minimal weight.

We don't need that. I want to try makeing a car body/chassis glider in a
modified SCRIMP process to get a similar effect without the super high
cost and long cycle time of a race car body construction.  SCRIMP is a
way of pulling a vacuum thru a bleeder layer which pulls the resin thru
the composite and around the core.

I think we can make a body that is light and strong with a natural
insulation value. It would have a replaceable front clip and "tailgate".
The cure time in production can be 10 min. (SCRIMP mixes catalyst on
demand). Since repairing a chassis/body is out of the question
replaceing is the only option if a traffic accident effects the main
body. I really think we can achieve a higher level of crash safety with
composites since we can re-direct the forces better than welded sheet metal.

While I have done a fair amount of research, and touring of facilities,
I haven't got in there and played with materials (did some prepreg in my
oven LOL). Jerry is da man on composites and when I get this darn garage
cleaned out and start on this project I will be asking the expert a lot
more questions!

Hi Joseph,
   If you decide Gen.5 Civic, I've got lots of good
stuff on the DVD (below) and website as well.
Haven't done Zilla and 9".  You'd want to do the del
Sol front of vehicle mounting configuration, with the
sedan or hatch batt. mounting in the rear.
I do 72 mph; can get to 60 in about 15; 0-30 is faster
than stock, 40-60 a bit pokier, so it evens out.
If the 30-40 is all at 65, I'd be concerned about cold
winters, wind, and hills.  If it's more like 55, it's
hugely do-able in this configuration, esp. w/ batt.
heaters.
Best to you,

--- Joseph Tahbaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I am looking for a battery in my hypothetical future
> EV conversion. The conversion car would probably be
> a Civic or a CRX with 144 volts, a Zilla 1K
> controller, and an ADC 9'' motor.  I'd like to be
> able to go on the highway without risking my life,
> so a 0-60 time of 15 seconds or less would be
> great.Range, fortunately, isn't much of any issue;
> 30-40 miles at 80% DOD is enough. I'm not rich
> though, so AGM batteries is out the window. I think
> the US-8VGC from US Battery might be good. The
> Peukert's Exponent is "around 1.2" Would recommend
> this battery for my application? Do you think this
> battery would meet my 0-60 time? If not, why, and
> what other batteries would you recommend? Battery
> life is a big concern.

> With Windows Live Hotmail, you can personalize your
> inbox with your favorite color.

www.windowslive-hotmail.com/learnmore/personalize.html?locale=en-us&ocid=TXT_TAGLM_HMWL_reten_addcolor_0607

Converting a gen. 5 Honda Civic?  My $20 video/DVD
has my '92 sedan, as well as a del Sol and hatch too!
Learn more at:
www.budget.net/~bbath/CivicWithACord.html
                          ____
                     __/__|__\ __
  =D-------/    -  -         \
                     'O'-----'O'-'
Would you still drive your car if the tailpipe came out of the steering wheel?
Are you saving any gas for your kids?

in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Hi De,
Temperature sensor wires.
Just a temperature switch.
You can connect them up to a warning light if you want.
Dana

From: "Deanne Mott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> In the process of working on the vacuum pump, and removing the
> no-longer-functional heater, my husband noticed 2 red small guage
> wires coming from the motor ( which is an 8" ADC series wound.)  He
> thinks the wires were touching, but not really connected well.  When
> he pulled on the heater wiring they came apart.  We're wondering what
> these wires are for, and whether they should be connected back.
>
> As best as I can figure, they are temperature sensor wires - is this
> correct?   If so, then obviously if they were connected together they
> weren't doing much good.  Should I worry about hooking this up?  I
> live in NC, the hottest I would be driving in is 95 degrees (assuming
> I can take that without AC).  On my 30 minute drive home (when it's
> hottest) I have one hill, takes me about a minute to go up it, and I
> can generally keep it to 200-250A going up the hill without getting
> run off the road.
>
> Thanks for any advice - De

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I was considering doing a similar state change heater. I was thinking of making a steel box full of tin (or solder), with a heating element in it. Put it in a high temp insulated box. Plug in the heating element while parked until the tin melts. Then blow air across it for heat. I'm not sure if 50 lbs of tin going through a liquid to solid state change can supply more energy than an additional 50 lbs of battery though.

Marty

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jay Caplan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 06/24/07 02:42:02
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: Make it

Some things have change a lot in 100 years. Going 15 miles an hour was fast
In 1907. When you increase the speed to today's standards it requires much
Higher Ah rate from the batteries. This is not a fair comparison getting
there
Faster is not done with the same amount of energy.

If it was inexpensive to make the controller and could be done for what you
Feel is a fair price someone would have done it.

As pointed out below it is always more expensive to make anything in units
Of one.

Don Blazer

Which is what I am doing asking questions.. How ever .. The way I see it ..
Very little has changed in the E V area if the first car made 100 years ago
Could get 40 to 100 miles on a charge ,, And I am not thinking better .. I
Am thinking cheaper.. Which is better to me. We will see maybe I will have
Nothing .. But it sure don't sound like shit to me .. A switch that turns on

And off for 700 bucks..

Mitchell