        by Matthew Drobnak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: Motor weight
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Motor weight
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Controler space
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: I have an IDEA!
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Hybrids done right,  Re: Would you build if you could buy?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by Jeff Shanab <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Motor weight
        by "Kaido Kert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: EV air conditioning, how to connect motor?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Building A Motor
        by "Rob Hogenmiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: electric bicycle - need help
        by James Drysdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) RE: EV air conditioning, how to connect motor?
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Pump for Water Cooling
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Motor weight
        by "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: electric bicycle - need help
        by James Drysdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Slightly OT: Painting your EV for less than $100
        by lyle sloan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Motor weight
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) AC HP or kW
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 19) RE: I have an IDEA!
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) Trojan costs
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--- Begin Message --- On Thursday, the 27th, I ordered a Zilla 2k, 300 V controller....with an estimated 20 week lead time. :-/

The good news is that I'll have a controller that'll kick butt. The bad news is it will take a while.

Approx lead time on PHET batteries is a month. I've read 2-3 weeks on the motor. So, by far, this is the longest wait.

On my way to being an EVer,
-Matt

From: Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Motor weight
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:10:39 +0200

just throwing it outthere since most might well know but isn't the typical dc motors grossly overweight?
cast iron housing that looks like it could hold 1000bar pressure.
given how small the shaft diameter is, isn't that hideously oversized? couldn't the weight be halved easily?

Dan

Hi, Dan,

The outer cylinder - or shell - of a series DC motor ( like the ADC series motors , for examples) doesn't just act as a mechanical case. The shell serves as part of the magnetic circuit ( with the field coils) that creates the fixed magnetic field that is required for the motor to function.

If you thinned down this shell (or, replaced it with aluminum) the motor would operate with reduced performance, ( or, maybe, not work at all).

If this heavy shell were not needed as part of the magnetic path, the manufactures would already be making it of thinner (and/or lighter) material.

In a sense, natural selections works for manufactured products. If it were possible to make lighter, cheaper series motors with the same performance, someone would already be making them and successfully selling them. And, the current, poor design, would have disappeared from the marketplace.

Phil Marino

Get a preview of Live Earth, the hottest event this summer - only on MSN http://liveearth.msn.com?source=msntaglineliveearthhm
Phil Marino wrote:
In a sense, natural selections works for manufactured products. If it were possible to make lighter, cheaper series motors with the same performance, someone would already be making them and successfully selling them. And, the current, poor design, would have disappeared from the marketplace.
Hi

I'm not sure that's entirely true. seems to me some markets are very conservative. even semi fancy markets like boeing and airbus are now switching to composite materials when those are far from new. the electromotor market seems extremely conservative to me

Dan

Maybe it is all as simple as anything but O2 in the box with the controller.
 Maybe  carbon dioxide ..Would do the trick..

Mitchell

From: "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Would you build if you could buy?
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 21:56:57 +0000

>With the recent threads of people wanting to build their own hybrids I
>can't  help but ask myself why?  This is as I look out at my 2001 Honda

>Insight  that I bought brand new and still love.  I always wonder why
>these hybrid  folks want to roll their own when they can just go out
>and buy one straight  from the factory.  I know the main reason is
>because they want to build a  plug in hybrid.  Still, I am doubtfull
>that they can come up with something  anywhere close to as good as the
>hybrids that can't be plugged in but can be  purchased at a dealers
>lot.

         I agree the Insight is an excellent investment both giving the
best mileage of any car in the world I know of.
And built of alum, basicly hand built, few made, the first Hybrid on the
US market so in not many yrs of saving a hell of a lot of gas, you'll
probably be able to sell it for more than you bought it.
        It's hard to find any lower overall cost car than an Insight!!
What amazes me is more on this list don't own them. Had I not gone
3wheel, I'd buy one. Once I make too much money I'll probably buy some
just for investment purposes.

>It leads me to the question of what you would do if you could buy a
>factory  EV.  Let's say it was like the hybrids that you can buy now
>that come at a  premium.  I think the
>hybrid system on a Honda usually costs about $4000.   It's
>hard to say exactly because they usually throw in a bunch of upscale
>options as well to kind of hide some of the cost, but let's go with
>that  marketing model.  If you could buy a factory built Civic, Accord,

>Camary,  S10 truck etc...  that was just like it's ICE counterpart, but

>you had to  pay a premium for, what would you buy, and how much more
>would you be  willing to pay?  Would that be the end of EVs as
>conversions, or would the  type of people that haunt this list rather
>continue to roll their own?

       Except you can't get good EV performance from most ICE gliders,
it shouldn't cost much more for a real hybrid than an ICE, under 10%
more.
        Just how much do you thin Detroit will pay for EV motors, ect?
Not much more than mass quanity parts cost so say a real 4 passenger EV
sedan, 2000lbs, would only need a 75kw EV motor with a 25hp ICE/gen used
series/parallel. This costs less than a heavier, big motored ICE does
even using batteries which in the quanity Detroit would buy would only
cost them aout $1.50/lb for lead batts like Hawkers/Orbitals which for
100 mile range you would need about 1000lbs of. As an ICE motor/trans
costs about $3k, the hybrid set up is not that much more, less than $1k
in a 50 mile EV range hybrid.
        These used in the same 30%-80% range and only topped up at home
plugged in could last 5-8 yrs, 40k-80k miles, and only cost $500 for a
replacement as the materials are just recycled so plenty of profit in
them at this low price figuring $25/batt/10 batts for recycling. Easily
lower than gas costs including electricity.

>I know for me, I would love to have a nice mid size sedan and would
>gladly  pay up to a $10,000 premium, but only if it had 150 - 200 mile
>range.

         That can be had in the Sunrise if you max it out on lead though
200 miles is really pushing it, probably only at 40 mph steady. But it
could easily get 150 mile range on 1800 lbs of GC batts with AC drive.
You get a lot of range when you discharge over 3 hrs or so, a lot more
than 1c or 5c!!

   Although I certainly don't
>need this much range everyday, it is a reflection  of some of the
>longer trips I would still want to be able to take.
>If it  only had a 50 - 100 mile range that would make it more of a
>specialty car  that I'm not sure I would be willing to pay any kind of
>premium for.

        Until Li gets as cheap as lead/kwhr and lasts an EV's lifetime
or at least 20 yrs, you are not going to be worthwhile in an EV with
over 100 mile range for most people as for much less weight, cost, you
can have a small gen and get unlimited range at 100 mpg if low drag like
the Sunrise.
        The idea is an EV, not a lead or other metal mine!!
sometimes people just take a tech too far as to not except viable
solutions like trading a $1k, 100 lb gen set for 500 lbs of batts rarely
used and 50 extra mile range vs unlimited range.
        In fact for most people, just 50 mile range on EV would be
enough to only use a few gas tanks/yr and save 50% on battery costs!
         That's basicly where I think cars, trucks will end up, small
ICE's and 20-100 mile range EV drive doing all the low speed work, much
of the high speed work. It's the logical because it's the overall low
cost way.
         And turn key production is the only way these will ever be more
than a drop in the bucket. Few will convert, build their own.
                                    Jerry Dycus

>damon

I just recently had did some touch up on a fender of two cars. I just
went to Harbor Freight and got an HVLP gun.
I told the the paint store I was using this gun and the paint was mixed
accordingly.

This is a gravity fed system that minimizes the fogging of the chemicals
and the amount of thinning needed.
I didn't need a mask and cleanup was a breeze.

I thought this new way of painting was a result of the tough EPA laws in
california, Are you saying they have gotten even tighter?

On 6/29/07, Phil Marino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If this heavy shell were not needed as part of the magnetic path, the
manufactures would already be making it of thinner (and/or lighter)
material.

That is true for motors sold for mobile applications where weight
matters. Most of various kinds of the electric motors sold are for
stationary applications, which in some cases even benefit from heavy
construction.

-kert

If you are going to the trouble of taking apart a window air
conditioning unit why not just use a portable AC/Heat pump unit.  I saw
one on Newegg that could be modified to do the whole heat/AC needs of a
car.  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896100122

On top of that you get automatic temperature regulation.  It draws only
9 amps.  So far I haven't found an inverter that will take 120 VDC to
make 120VAC though.