  1) Throttle strategy and Current Limit
        by Chet Fields <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: electric bicycle - need help
        by "Kip C. Anderson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: electric bicycle - need help
  4) RE: Trojan costs
        by "Nawaz Qureshi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) Re: Motor weight
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: Trojan costs
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) RE: Hybrids done right,  Re: Would you build if you could buy?
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Hybrids done right, Re: Would you build if you could buy?
        by "Evan Tuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) RE: electric bicycle - need help
        by Mike Willmon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: AC HP or kW
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) .
        by "John Nicholson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Building A Motor
        by "Andre' Blanchard" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Made the first step recently...
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) The Story of Air Conditioning, tongue in cheek.OT a Tad
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: Adapter Problem
        by "Tehben Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) Re: Made the first step recently...
        by "Mark Eidson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Motor weight, No Escape!
        by "Bob Rice" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: electric bicycle - need help - air drag as a function of speed
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: NiMH pack strategy
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: Throttle strategy and Current Limit
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Adapter Problem
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Adapter Problem
        by David Dymaxion <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: electric bicycle - need help
I am progressing quite well on my controller design and now have a couple of
specific questions
that you all might be able to help me with.

After reading recently about different throttle behavior I have rethought the
way I am doing it. I
was just letting the level of input from the pot translate into a percentage of
duty cycle (with
current limiting and low voltage just reducing it). However, now I thought
maybe I should approach
it from the angle of the input establishing a desired current level and then
have a circuit that
would compare that to the actual via an op-amp at maximum gain that would then
either charge or
discharge a capacitor through a resistor that would then be the actual signal
for the PWM
percentage. I thought of this as I was designing my regen circuit off of the
brake signal. But I
guess it would also work just as well for the accelerator side as well.

My first question is: Do opamps allow you to sink as well as source the
current? In other words,
when the opamp output is 0v will it drain the capacitor and allow the voltage
to drop?

And the second is this: Will this control be fast enough to limit current etc.
Or should I also
have at a later stage some mechanism that will actually shut off the output to
the gate drive
input when the current exceeds my maxlimits?

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- I can't help with the calculations, but I agree that a 750W motor probably isn't going to get you there at it's rated voltage. I have however seen video of a guy with a hub motored bike claiming 45 mph performance. Even with a 1000W hub motor, it took a fair distance to get up past 40 and I don't know what voltage he was running.

The nice thing about hub motors is that they come in varied windings that would allow this kind of speed without worrying about overspeeding. There are dual-wound motors for mixed low end and high speed performance as well. Crystalyte seems to offer the best range of choices for that right now.

- Kip

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Drysdale" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: Roland Wiench
> You can build a rotating machine, without a metal casing as in a
> motor. This is done by using just using a large amount of copper
> windings wound around a plastic or fiberglass core.
>
> ...a 30 hp motor-generation would take a coil form about 4 foot
> in diameter and 12 feet high...

No, it's not *that* bad, unless the motor designer is extremely ignorant! This
is what would happen if you just tried to replace all the iron in a
conventional motor with plastic.

But there really are ironless motors, and they work quite well for specialized
applications.

To understand the principles involved, first think about a transformer. As you
reduce the amount of iron, the size and weight of course go down. But the
inductance also goes down. The voltage per turn V = L di/dt, so if L goes down,
di/dt must go up. Basically, this means the operating frequency must go up. For
example,

 - A 100 watt 60 Hz transformer (standard power transformer) is
   about the size of your fist, and is 75% iron.
 - A 100 watt 60 KHz transformer (as used in a switching power
   supply) has 1% of the amount of iron, and is about the size
   of a golf ball.
 - A 100 watt 60 MHz transformer (as used in a radio transmitter)
   has no iron at all, and is the size of a few pennies stacked up.

All of these transformers are in excess of 90% efficient if well made. As
frequency goes up, magnetic losses go up but copper losses go down, because
they use less copper (fewer turns of thicker wire).

Now for motors. The challenge with high frequency motors is that speed is
proportional to frequency. RPM = 120 x frequency / poles. It gets hard (i.e.
expensive) to go much faster than 10,000 rpm at any reasonable horsepower. We
have EV-size motors that can run as fast as 13,000 rpm, but they avoid actually
operating there for any length of time, due to bearing balancing and strength
of materials issues. So, a more practical way to raise the frequency is to
raise the number of poles.

 - A common 1 hp 60 hz motor 2-pole motor runs at 3600 rpm, and
   weighs about 25 lbs.
 - A 1 hp 8-pole 400 hz aircraft motor runs at 6000 rpm, and
   weighs about 10 lbs.
 - A 1hp 24-pole 2 KHz stepper motor runs at 10,000 rpm, and
   weighs around 5 lbs.

But high pole numbers create other difficulties; you won't find many examples
of motors with really high pole counts outside of the laboratory. Each pole is
essentially a little transformer, with its own primary and secondary and little
cores. A 100-pole motor would be built like 100 little motors oriented in a
circle -- an expensive style of construction.

In the days before vacuum tubes were invented, Nikola Tesla built some 100 KHz
motors 1000-pole motors just to see what could be done. They worked, but had no
practical applications. (Later, he realized he could have put a carbon
microphone in the field, and create an AM radio transmitter! But by then, the
vacuum tube had been invented, which did it much easier).

"The only thing new is the history you don't know yet." -- Harry Truman

Hello Ben,

Several months ago, I call the Trojan battery distributor of which I bought
a pallet load of 50 batteries from him back in 2002.  I paid $73.00 each
with the old battery exchange at that time.  Today I got a quote for $107.00
for 50 batteries.  A pallet load of 50 is the minimum I can purchase from a
distributor, other wise I would have to go to a dealer which may be up to
$137.00 each.

This is $30.00 difference per battery or for 30 batteries, that is $900.00
savings. If I only using 40 batteries or 240 volts, than the extra 10
batteries cost me only $170.00 extra at dealers prices.

Use the extra batteries for a UPS system for your house, or put on a
maintainer and use as spares or replacements.

From: "Dewey, Jody R ATC COMNAVAIRLANT, N422G5G"
> And Honda quit making them right? I guess it was from lack of sales?
> The only one to get now is the Civic Hybrid.

I think there are a couple reasons why the Honda Insight was discontinued.

It was their first hybrid design, and now about 10 years old. That's about when
most cars are either discontinued (if that model didn't sell well enough) or
redesigned (if it did).

Second, it was a difficult, and thus expensive car to make. The aluminum body
and hybrid components were specialized, and not shared with any other cars in
their product line.

I think they decided to concentrate on the Civic Hybrid, because it sells a lot
better.

From: "damon henry"
>> With the recent threads of people wanting to build their own
>> hybrids I can't help but ask myself why? This is as I look out
>> at my 2001 Honda Insight that I bought brand new and still love.

The factory hybrids are great cars! I own one myself. But, they aren't EVs. And
they aren't built to allow an easy conversion to EV, or even to a plug-in
hybrid.

>> It leads me to the question of what you would do if you could buy
>> a factory EV...

Personally, I want a little around-town car for commuting and running errands
etc. that seats 4, and is cheap to operate. A high initial cost is OK as long
as it will save money in the long run.

And sure; I'd pay a premium if it had some "gotta have it" features that
happened to appeal to me. For everyone, these will be different. It might be
wild styling, or high performance, or a killer sound system, or a "chick
magnet", or a high "geek" factor. But these are hard to predict.

--
"Excellence does not require perfection." -- Henry James
--

On 6/29/07, Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

And sure; I'd pay a premium if it had some "gotta have it" features that
happened to
appeal to me. For everyone, these will be different. It might be wild styling,
or high
performance, or a killer sound system, or a "chick magnet", or a high "geek"
factor. But
these are hard to predict.

Someone should invent a "chick electromagnet".  Much more powerful
than the usual kind, and it would plug into your traction pack.  Great
idea, I must patent it :)

Way back then they were monthly.  It was the December Issue in 1983.

I hope you find it.  I have the magazine in my house somewhere.  AI can find
all the other ones that I didn't put in a "special"
place :-O

> James Drysdale wrote:
>
> Digital reproductions are only available from 1993 onwards.
> And they have no listing for December 1983, but as they appear to be
> published quarterly I assume you mean October - December of 1983?

Does anyone have a source for a 5HP 90 to 150 VDC motor?  The closest
I could find in the rpm rang of 1000 to 300o is here:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130128546415&rd=1&rd=1

AC compressor is supposed to take 5 HP or 4 kW of power off the engine to
function. according to wikipedia.

At 156 volts, that's about 25 amps when loaded.

Wow, that's a chunk of power, though I don't know the on/off cycle time of
the compressor till I actually run it.

Ben

--
Brian in TX
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/960

Good Question. After reading this list for about a year I decided I would
not build a conversion until a better alternative to lead acid batteries
was available. I need to commute 45 miles round trip a day in hilly New
England terrain and would want heat also in winter. The economics of lead
acid and the thought of becoming an accolyte in the Religion of Battery
Management just won't cut it for me.
If a factory built car like the Phoenix Motorcars models or Tesla's
planned consumer level model were available with advanced batteries, I'd
order one immediately if it was available for a price in the same range as
the premium  + base your talking about. I agree with your criteria - it
would need at least 100 mile range, 150-200 would be better, and would
need to be highway capable to interest me. I would add that the battery
pack would have to be guaranteed for 100,000 miles if used with the
charger supplied with the car. It would also be nice to be offered a
trade-in plan on a spent pack or an upgrade option. I can dream, can't I?

EV hungry,
John

> With the recent threads of people wanting to build their own hybrids I
> can't
> help but ask myself why?  This is as I look out at my 2001 Honda Insight
> that I bought brand new and still love.  I always wonder why these hybrid
> folks want to roll their own when they can just go out and buy one
> straight
> from the factory.  I know the main reason is because they want to build a
> plug in hybrid.  Still, I am doubtfull that they can come up with
> something
> anywhere close to as good as the hybrids that can't be plugged in but can
> be
> purchased at a dealers lot.
>
> It leads me to the question of what you would do if you could buy a
> factory
> EV.  Let's say it was like the hybrids that you can buy now that come at a
> premium.  I think the hybrid system on a Honda usually costs about $4000.
> It's hard to say exactly because they usually throw in a bunch of upscale
> options as well to kind of hide some of the cost, but let's go with that
> marketing model.  If you could buy a factory built Civic, Accord, Camary,
> S10 truck etc...  that was just like it's ICE counterpart, but you had to
> pay a premium for, what would you buy, and how much more would you be
> willing to pay?  Would that be the end of EVs as conversions, or would the
> type of people that haunt this list rather continue to roll their own?
>
> I know for me, I would love to have a nice mid size sedan and would gladly
> pay up to a $10,000 premium, but only if it had 150 - 200 mile range.
> Although I certainly don't need this much range everyday, it is a
> reflection
> of some of the longer trips I would still want to be able to take.  If it
> only had a 50 - 100 mile range that would make it more of a specialty car
> that I'm not sure I would be willing to pay any kind of premium for.
>
> damon

> Picture this – share your photos and you could win big!
> http://www.GETREALPhotoContest.com?ocid=TXT_TAGHM&loc=us

At 08:42 AM 6/29/2007, you wrote:

I was just thinking in general, something that would be able to do something and be useful. I have two starter motors and was hoping to take the apart and see if I could make them into a motor that worked. Was hoping that might be a nice website on the basics of building a practical motor.

Most on the web are variations of the old Boy Scout motor that you were suppose to build without benefit of a kit.
<http://www.eas.asu.edu/~holbert/wise/dcmotor.htm>http://www.eas.asu.edu/~holbert/wise/dcmotor.htm

For a usable motor Lindsay has some cheap books. He does have some books that are not listed on the web, you have to order the catalog.
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks5/dynamo/index.html
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks3/armature/index.html

This is not really plans for building but has lots of drawings of early motors, some detailed enough you could duplicate them.
<http://books.google.com/books?id=3ochAAAAMAAJ>http://books.google.com/books?id=3ochAAAAMAAJ

__________
Andre' B.
__________
Andre' B.  Clear Lake, Wi.

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- The good news is you can get a lot of work done on your conversion without the controller. In fact you can have it all done and tested and plunk the controller in last. It just takes a 12 volt battery or two and a pair of jumper cables to make that first drive. Twenty weeks can go by quite fast if you are trying to squeeze in conversion time around an already busy life :-)

damon

From: Matthew Drobnak <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Made the first step recently...
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:04:40 -0400

On Thursday, the 27th, I ordered a Zilla 2k, 300 V controller....with an estimated 20 week lead time. :-/

The good news is that I'll have a controller that'll kick butt. The bad news is it will take a while.

Approx lead time on PHET batteries is a month. I've read 2-3 weeks on the motor. So, by far, this is the longest wait.

On my way to being an EVer,
-Matt

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/

If I design my own adapter and have a machine shop make it is there
some documentation, instructions, plans or something that I can get on
exactly what to do?
I am completely lost :(
The only adapter I have made is to align the motor for a belt drive in
my trimmer mower :^) ...
and it has about and inch of tolerance:P
--
TEhben
'hElix EV'

I figured I would be ready with 26 weeks to wait but it still took a
couple of weeks to get it running.  There are no drawings for the
mounting holes and I had to fabricate the mounting brackets after the
unit arrived.  Then the final wiring, etc......It worked the first
time I turned it on.........me

On 6/29/07, damon henry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The good news is you can get a lot of work done on your conversion without
the controller.  In fact you can have it all done and tested and plunk the
controller in last.  It just takes a 12 volt battery or two and a pair of
jumper cables to make that first drive.  Twenty weeks can go by quite fast
if you are trying to squeeze in conversion time around an already busy life
:-)

damon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dan Frederiksen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
From: James Drysdale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu
Subject: Re: electric bicycle - need help
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:57:37 +0800

G'day Peter,

Yeah, last time I checked the local law, powered bicycles could only
legally put out a maximum of 200W.
But I'm also planning a semi-large trip (one-way 1600 km / 994 miles) in
December.
As in, long lonely country roads, so it's not like I'll be using it to
speed through school zones like a dickhead.

Aerodynamic Drag goes up as the cube of your speed.

Really? I thought it was the *square* of the speed. Glad you mentioned
that. It's good to be proven wrong sometimes.
You and the other bloke Mike have been quite helpful.

You were right.

The air drag (force - in pounds, for example) rises as the square of the speed.

The POWER required to overcome this drag force rises as the cube of the speed, because power is force x velocity. The extra velocity multiplier brings the power up to the cube of velocity.

This is an approximation, but a very good approximation for typical speeds of land vehicles.

Phil Marino

Thanks.

Regards,
James Drysdale.

Peter VanDerWal wrote:
> Well, I assume you are aware that such a bicycle won't be legal on the roads?
>
> Now that we have that niggling detail out of the way.  Bicycles have
> pretty bad aerodynamics (compared to other vehicles).
> Not much of an issue at 20-30kph, but significant at 80 kph.
>
> 750W will be good up to perhaps 50-60kph on flat level ground with no
> wind. Of course getting to this speed will take a while, though
> acceleration from 0-25kph should be quite brisk.
> Note most human beings can put out almost 750W for a very breif time (less
> than a minute?)
> The average human can put out about 100 watts for an hour or so, a very
> fit person can produce 200-250 watts for an hour or so.
> It takes roughly 200 watts to go 30 kph on flat ground with no wind.
> Aerodynamic Drag goes up as the cube of your speed.
>
> Getting up to 80kph will require at least twice and probably three times
> as much.  Figure at least 2,000 watts.
>

>> G'day all,
>>
>> Not an electric automobile, but an electric vehicle nonetheless.
>> I'd like to create a hybrid muscle-electric bicycle.
>>
>> But I need some help.
>> 1) Trying to work out how much *power* a specific 750W will actually
>> give me.
>>
>> Power = (force * displacement) / time
>> Force = mass * acceleration
>> I am stuck, insufficient info and/or knowledge.
>>
>> 2) To move my fully-laden bicycle up to a speed of 80km/h
>> (49.67miles/h), how powerful a motor will I need?
>>
>> Information I do have......
>> mass = 120kg
>> desired velocity = 22.2 m/s (80km/h or 49.67 miles/h)
>>
>> Where I am stuck is in the acceleration & force equations.
>> I do not know how much acceleration and max forward velocity I can
>> achieve with a 750W motor.
>>
>> This is the motor in question!!!
>> https://www.electricscooterparts.com/ShoppingCart.asp?ProductCode=MOT-36750G
>> >From this page.
>> http://www.electricscooterparts.com/motors.html
>> 36volt
>> 750watt
>> 2500rpm geared down to 420rpm
>>
>> I realise that there are other factors here that need addressing, like I
>> said, I need help.
>> Is it okay to disregard factors such as wind resistance for now?
>> Wind resistance increases as the square of the velocity or something
>> like that.....
>>

>> Cheers all,
>> James Drysdale.

Don’t miss your chance to WIN $10,000 and other great prizes from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/aub0540003042mrt/direct/01/
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that it is bad to just have a couple
dozen chargers go off all at once. You'd need a system to control it
all. Are there chargers that can be programed to charge such a
high-voltage yet low-amp-hour pack? Manzanita Micro? Zivan?

On 6/29/07, Rob&Amy Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Can anyone give me a synopsis of the current thinking on NiMH packs?

What I have gathered from reading the list for a while now (are these
true statements?):

1. Charging or discharging multiple cells in parallel is generally a
bad idea.
2. Charging or discharging long strings quickly gets cells out of
balance.
3. Finishing voltage is not a good indicator of charge complete.
4. Watching for -dv/dt turn is better indicator
5. Monitoring for cell temp rise can also be a good indicator of
charge complete
6. Previous cycle charge/discharge info is best indicator.

So, lets say I want to build a ~200V/40Ah pack out of 4 strings of
10Ah cells (not full EV size I realize)

For charging I was considering borrowing ideas from the EV AGM guys
and the RC NiMH guys. I really like the AGM balance idea of just
running multiple small independant isolated chargers to make sure
each battery is balanced.  This gets tricky here though, as we have
potentially ~667 cells.  The RC guys seem to pretty routinely fast
charge 7.2-9.6V strings with good results.  There are 5A "smart" -dv/
dt based chargers available in the $40-$50 price range, which should
charge a 10Ah 7.2V ministring in ~2 hrs.  Since in the this case we'd
still have 112 of these ministrings, the last component would be a
relay switch matrix and a controller.  The simplest implementation
would probably be to have one charger per ministring in the string,
in this case 28.  Then each charger would be responsible for charging
4 ministrings (one from each string) which should complete
overnight.  Ideally thermal sensors would be used to monitor for
problems, but this could add alot of complexity.  Maybe some simple
bimetal switches, simple thermistor/comparator circuits to provide
digital feedback rather than analog.  Otherwise some sort of big
analog mux matrix would probably be needed due to the large number of
analog inputs you'd have to deal with.  This is not cheap, we're
probably talking $1100 for chargers (maybe can find a volume discount
somewhere, or look at chinese rather than german chargers) plus
needing something to control it all (I'm thinking an old laptop and
DIO box?) and a big bunch of relays.  On the other hand, what other
options are there in this price range?

For discharging, I'm less sure.  Can you parallel the big strings
during discharge?  Maybe if you use the above temp sensors and drop
strings if there is any signs of cells heating up? Otherwise I was
thinking of monitoring string voltage and switching through the
strings sequentially as each starts to roll off from its flat part of
the curve.  I think I need some help here LOL!

Any thoughts or comments much appreciated,

Rob
Phoenix, AZ

Chet Fields wrote:
[...]

Yes.
And the second is this: Will this control be fast enough to limit current etc.
Or should I also
have at a later stage some mechanism that will actually shut off the output to
the gate drive
input when the current exceeds my maxlimits?
Depends on how you design it. You're getting into feedback control theory. It might help you considerably to do some research on PID control techniques.

There's a difference between current limit and current regulation. For your throttle response, it sounds as if you want current regulation. i.e, 50% throttle translates to 50% current, or some such. Current limit is primarily to prevent damage, and there's no reason you cannot have a separate fast-response current limit sense as a failsafe. I'm doing a bit of controller design myself. There is a current amplifier for doing "normal" current limiting and throttle response (user settable current limit), and there's a separate circuit that uses an ultra-fast comparator for "overcurrent" conditions, which would kill the PWM completely, until reset.

Because there are so many different transmissions, there are so many
different adaptors. You could contact someone who has made an adaptor
for the same car you are converting through evalbum.com or some
personal blogs.

On 6/29/07, Tehben Dean <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If I design my own adapter and have a machine shop make it is there
some documentation, instructions, plans or something that I can get on
exactly what to do?
I am completely lost :(
The only adapter I have made is to align the motor for a belt drive in
my trimmer mower :^) ...
and it has about and inch of tolerance:P
--
TEhben
'hElix EV'
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

http://www.grassrootsev.com sells some excellent videos on how to make an
adaptor. Even if you don't do it exactly that way you'll learn alot.
http://www.metricmind.com also is excellent in detailing how Victor made his
adaptor.

I did my adaptor design in Emachine shop, and it was significantly more
expensive than buying one from http://www.electroauto.com/ .

If I design my own adapter and have a machine shop make it is there
some documentation, instructions, plans or something that I can get on
exactly what to do?
I am completely lost :(
The only adapter I have made is to align the motor for a belt drive in
my trimmer mower :^) ...
and it has about and inch of tolerance:P
--
TEhben
'hElix EV'
evalbum: http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1225

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.

> Aerodynamic Drag goes up as the cube of your speed.
>
> Really? I thought it was the *square* of the speed.

That one gets me all the time too. The power needed to overcome drag goes
up as the cube of the speed.
However, the energy needed to go a certain distance goes up as the square
of the speed, because it only takes you have as long to get there when you
go twice as fast.