  3) RE: conversion question
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
        by "storm connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: Short Range Battery Pack
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Re: 72 volt dc to dc converter
        by "Roland Wiench" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: better battery option for AC Geo Metro?
        by "storm connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Blower on Motor
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: powering 12v cooling fan from pack voltage
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: Zivan ICS 200 Avcon charging problem - solved!
        by JS <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: better battery option for AC Geo Metro?
        by "David Roden (Akron OH USA)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: Blower on Motor
        by Markus Lorch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) RE: Efficiency of lead acid batteries
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) RE: Ideal EV configuration for my situation?
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Curtis 1221B - help!
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: New guy seeking knowledge
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Opinion on Brammo Enertia bike?
        by Mike Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) RE: Opinion on Brammo Enertia bike?
        by "damon henry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Re: powering 12v cooling fan from pack voltage
 20) Re: Curtis 1221B - help!
        by "(-Phil-)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: better battery option for AC Geo Metro?
 22) Re: New guy seeking knowledge
        by "patrick DonEgan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Short Range Battery Pack
--- Begin Message --- My 72 vplt sevcon dc to dc converter quit working, does anyone have a good used one they want to sell?
How difficult is it to rebuild them?
Thanks,
Bill

--- End Message ---
--- Begin Message --- There is an official government sponsored program at Argonne Labs called GREET to measure exactly what you are all talking about. I have started writing a piece about it, but the details are very complex, and its taking a long time.
just google GREET argonne should bring it up...

anyway the conclusion was highly optimized bio-diesel hybrid IIRC correctly was less polluting than a pure EV using coal-fired electricity. Natural-gas->H2 fuel cell was too of course. Many other technologies/fuels were in the same ballpark. I can't tell yet what parameters they used for each fuel ( and there are many) but it is truly a well to wheels attempt at figuring out the cost.

Before you all blow a gasket, the reason the bio-diesel does better than EVs is that diesel and especially some kinds of bio-diesel, take a lot less energy and less pollution than coal-fired power. Obviously if you use hydro or solar/wind or natural gas to make electricity you'll get a different result. The study uses nationwide averages, rather than state-by-state numbers AFAIK.

caveat- haven't crunched all the numbers yet, so read it yourself.

Lesson I take from it?
You are only as clean as your electrons.
gotta get existing coal plants cleaned up right away and focus on all new plants to minimize pollution. Nukes will help but are many years out. I believe this could be seen as a political statement too.

John

GWMobile wrote:
The comparision has been done it the amount of pollutants released for electric car power production is miniscule compared to automotive gas use.

Hi Peter and Tom and all,

I have been half watching this Evette discussion.
Yea, Tom says it is fun to drive.  Is it fun to drive
on a snow or ice covered road?

I have a zero turn radius mower.  Two powered wheels,
independently by hydraulic.  With two casters in
front.  Handles great and is "fun" to drive.  Well,
mowing always sucks.  But anyway, last year I got a
little too close to the pond and one drive wheel ended
up in a 4 inch deep mud puddle.  No way I could get
that sucker out of there.  Aside from towing it.  So,
I conclude, this type of drive is a real bummer if one
drive wheel gets stuck in mud or snow or ice.  All you
can do is drive in circles until the tow truck
arrives.  I had some thoughts of outfitting it with a
push blade for plowing snow off the driveway, but
decided it stays in the barn during the winter.

Jeff

--- Peter VanDerWal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I did NOT say the Evette doesn't maneuver well at
> high speeds, I said it
> only has the "advantage" at low speeds.  Plenty of
> four wheeled vehicle
> handle well at high speeds, have you never heard the
> term "Corners like
> it's on rails"?
>
> Even if it is super easy to park, people have been
> managing to park four
> wheeled cars for over a century now, so it's not a
> big advantage.  Parking
> lots are designed for four wheeled vehicles.  People
> even manage to
> parallel park them.
>
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > In your dreans.  The EVette  not only maneuvers
> at low speeds, it turns
> > very well at higher speeds as well. A reporter
> from the Palm Beach Post
> > took a ride in it and wrote " Gut wrenching turns
> ".Its not a little
> > easier to park, its a lot easier to park. If a
> conversion has 2400lbs of
> > batteries it most likely has at least 3000lbs of
> car,5400lbs total that
> > sounds more like a tank!
> >
> > Tom Sines                              T

Luggage? GPS? Comic books?

Where are you located? Maybe I could help.

Hey Roland,
This is exactly the info i was lookign for. Gives me an idea of the rating
I need to look for. Does anyone have any ideas for surplus, cheap, used
batteries? Looking for high current capable batteries. I have called the
battery outlets already but maybe there are some cheap sources for small
12v batteries like a backup psu. Maybe an office supply place?
Paul

--
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1059

Joseph T.  wrote:

> I've never understood why people count Ah's.

I think there are two main reasons, one is that battery capacity is
commonly measured/stated in Ah, and Ah is an easy value to
measure/estimate since one needs only an ammeter and a clock.

> > My next question is "How many Ah's do I need for a small car
> > to travel 10 miles on 144v in moderate driving conditions?"
> > [...] Maybe an average of 50 mph.

You are asking the wrong question; what you want to ask is "how much
energy (Wh) do I need..."

Think of Wh as the area of a rectangle, where the height of the
rectangle is the pack voltage and the width is the pack capacity in Ah.
You can have a short, wide rectangle (low voltage, large capacity pack)
or a tall, narrow (high voltage, small capacity pack) but have the same
amount of energy available (both rectangles have the same area).

When you ask for the amount of Ah required, you will get a variety of
answers based on each responder's experience with their own particular
(and probably unstated) pack voltage.

A typical small conversion might use 200-300Wh/mi on average, but
"average" typically wouldn't mean averaging 50mph for 10mi.  Let's guess
that you might consume 400Wh/mi under those conditions: 400Wh/mi * 10 mi
= 4000Wh (4kWh) of usable energy required.

So, now you know the area your "rectangle" must have, and you can pick a
height (pack voltage) or width (battery capacity) and figure out what
the other "side" needs to be.

For instance, if you want to run a 48V system, you need a pack with a
usable capacity of about 84Ah (4000Wh / 48V = ~84Ah).  Now, a typical
small car might need something like 10-12HP to travel at 50mph, so the
rule of thumb is to assume this takes 10-12kW from the battery. 12kW /
48V is 250A.  It looks as if you *might* get by with a 48V pack of
flooded 6V golf car batteries.  A T105-size battery is typically rated
for about 140Ah @ 75A (to 100%DOD), so they just might give you enough
capacity at 250A to do the job.  As a sanity check, a typical small car
with 120V of 6V floodeds might have a maximum range of 30-50mi, or 3-5x
your target with 2.5x as much energy onboard.  At your lower voltage you
have to draw higher current for the same power, so you will have less
usable capacity/energy, but it still looks to be in the ballpark.

I wouldn't suggest going with a 48V system though.  The only reason for
doing this, in my opinion, would be for the lowest possible cost.  You
could use an old GE EV1 SCR lift truck controller (look for one with at
least 400A rating).  The vehicle might be able to make your trip, but it
would be fairly gutless.  An Altrax 4865 (48V, 650A max) controller with
decent cooling would make for a much nicer experience at the 48V level
while still being reasonably inexpensive.

I would suggest aiming for a 72V system instead: 4000Wh / 72V = 56Ah
usable capacity required.  At 72V the 12kW estimated 50mph power only
results in about 167A draw.  At this lower current and reduced capacity
need, a set of flooded 6V batteries would easily handle your trip
without being punished.  You might even be able to buy used golf car
batteries from a local place that refurbishes golf carts as they come
off lease, etc. for even lower operating cost.  Go for an Altrax 7245
(72V 450A max) controller.

At the 72V level you likely wouldn't have to do much of anything to your
48V motor.  Listen to Jim Husted on this though, as perhaps you might
still want to advance the timing a bit.

Above the 72V level your motor will require more attention and the
controller cost jumps by a factor of about 2x.

At 72V, the car still won't have gobs of power, but with 72V on a 48V
motor, 450A on tap, and multiple gears you will probably find it
surprisingly fun to drive on surface streets and fairly quick across
intersections, etc.

Look in Rod's garage at evparts.com.  I think there is one in there.

From: Mike Sandman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: EV Discussion List <ev@listproc.sjsu.edu>
Subject: Opinion on Brammo Enertia bike?
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 17:54:42 -0400

http://www.enertiabike.com/

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving directions - all in one place! http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01
> I do have a 110V blower that is very powerful, but found that its a
> small single phase AC motor so thats too much effort.

Does it have brushes?  If so then it's probably a universal motor.
Universal motors are basically a Series wound motor optimized to run on
AC, but they will also run on DC just fine.

I'm guessing that you already know this, but figured I'd point it out just
in case.

Sounds like a short or high leakage inside the controller.

A bad/shorted cap may cause this, but I suspect it would be something in the power stage. Disconnect the IGN+ and Pot wires, then disconnect the motor, if it still does this, it's definitely the controller.

Also, if you don't want the old controller, I'll buy it off you.

-Phil
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paul" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
[...]

Are you planning on building a NEV?  144V @ 150A is only about 22hp.
If you are planning on driving this on the highway, you'll be able to
measure your 0-60 times with a wall calendar.

My controller produces over 50% more top end power, and probably three
times as much low end torque, and it takes me about a minute and a half to
get to 60mph.

I think that controller can handle higher voltage?  IF so, you might want
to give that some serious consideration.

> I'm doing the Azure Dynamics AC kit with a Geo Metro and am wondering if I
> could get a more longevity out of a set of AGM batteries vs the standard
> flooded lead acid.  I'm planning on using 12X of the 130 AHr Trojans or
> USBattery to achieve the required 144V and range I need.  The peak current
> on this controller is 150A, and the cruise current should be around 75 A.
> This capacity should be sufficient to get me my 36 mile round trip
> commute, but will probably only give me a couple years of use (commuting 3
> or 4 times per week). The peak current on this controller is 150A. I
> realize there is a heavier set of Trojans with thicker plates, but I'm
> feeling I don't want to take on that extra weight.  Could I get a little
> more cycle life out of a set of AGM batteries?  If so, can anyone
> recommend a set which would give me the similar capacity to the 130 AHr
> flooded cells?  I would be willing to take on the extra battery management
> if I could get much better cycle life from the AGMs.  Also, how
> recycleable are the AGM batteries?
>
> Thanks!
> Dave

How about one of those old Land Rover Ranger Rover
from 20 or more years ago...

Like they use out on the Safari of Africa ;)

On 7/12/07, Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Eco Performance wrote:

> I live in the rockies and feel there is a market for
> functional EV's.  I dubbed them MUEV's (mountain
> utilityEV).  What I picture is something that can seat
> 4 people, a dog, and some gear, all-wheel drive, and
> have a good enough range and top speed to suit all us
> ski bums with 20+ mile commutes to our jobs as
> servants to the wealthy.

> So far we've procured a donor Saab 900 and have been
> crunching the numbers on what it will take to make it
> fly.  Our price tag is looking awful close to $30k,
> not taking into account numerous problems we're bound
> to have.  I don't want to make toys for rich people, I
> want to help out those who need it and make a modest
> dent on emissions.
>
> I'm asking if you guys had any ideas on how to make
> this affordable and how you'd design it in our
> situation.

It's difficult to make much of any suggestion without knowing what sort
of top speed suits you, and what sort of range you need (20mi charging
at each end, or 40mi roundtrip?).

I'd suggest ditching the Saab and instead looking at something like a
Jeep or similar.  It will be easier to do, probably cheaper, and more
likely to meet your targets.  That said, it will be *very* difficult to
come up with an EV that can carry 4 adults and some cargo and still be
legal with enough battery onboard to deliver a solid 20mi range at speed
over hilly terrain in cool temperatures.  Or at least it will be if you
don't have the budget for Li-Ion batteries.

A Jeep may not have the GVWR to handle a full passenger load + the
battery pack, so you might end up looking at an extended cab/crew cab
pickup instead.  A Unimog conversion would be the coolest ski bum
transport imaginable and would have the payload capacity to handle the
job, but a good chunk of your budget would be eaten up just purchasing
the donor (though if you can locate one with a dead engine it might not
be too bad).

Patrick Ira Donegan
TigerBody Electric Vehicles

Just so the nebies don't get confused...

Since Roland didn't to post the pack voltage, this information is
completely useless.