  1) Re: Henney Kilowatt controller, was: Information needed please.
        by "Aaron Choate" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) Re: Battery Problems
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: batteries: another increasing range question
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  4) Re: Henney Kilowatt controller, was: Information needed please.
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  5) RE: batteries: another increasing range question
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) RE: Zivan (NG2?)
        by "Roger Stockton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: LED headlights- new development!
        by dale henderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: LED headlights- new development!
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  9) Re: LED headlights- new development!
        by Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: questions
        by Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) Re: Zivan (NG2?)
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Fastest Electric Boat 120 mph !!
        by Steven Lough <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: questions
        by Eric Poulsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: Anyone seen a 1600A fuse before?
        by "Phelps" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Fast Charging
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: What will it take to get White Zombie into the 10's?
        by Mark Fowler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Re: Fastest Electric Boat 120 mph !!
        by Rod Hower <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18) Re: 4002 vs. ADC 8"
        by Paul <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) RE: What will it take to get White Zombie into the 10's?
        by "Alan Brinkman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 20) Re: EV's need sleep mode
        by "John Foster" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Fast Charging
        by "Joseph T. " <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Ideal conversion candidate? Aussies are Lucky.
        by "Ev Performance (Robert Chew)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) Re: Fast Charging
        by "John G. Lussmyer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Virtual Instrumentation Solution
        by "Brian Pikkula" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: Zivan (NG2?)
        by Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Virtual Instrumentation Solution
        by "storm connors" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
It has 7 positions if you count off as one.  The Eureka Williams
provided Fact Sheet that Cara transcribed for our site lists it as a
"Six step control. Foot pedal operates control, varying speed of
motor, exactly as in a gasoline-powered car."

If people are interested, they can view an image of the speed
controller from our car on the site Cara put together for it.

http://www.intrepid-travelers.com/

The Controller pics (one overview and a close-up of the speed cog) are
on the Facts page.  Sorry, but they are the only ones that will allow
you to click for a larger version.

http://www.intrepid-travelers.com/EVinfo/factsheet.html

Cheers,

Aaron Choate

On 7/18/07, Christopher Robison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 09:25 -0500, Christopher Robison wrote:

> Somewhere there's got to be a decent picture of the control board with
> its contactor array. I'll dig around and see if I can find it.

Huge thanks to Tim Humphrey, who sent some pictures of the Henney
Kilowatt controller and some diagrams of its design and wiring
configuration at each step of throttle input.  I've put them here:

http://ohmbre.org/gallery/v/other_stuff/henney_controller

The photos came from James Jarret's car, "Lady Penelope"

http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/431

I don't recall the controller in Aaron's Kilowatt having 7 throttle
positions, but this could be my memory.

--
Christopher Robison
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

John G. Lussmyer wrote:
This is a Sparrow.  It has 13 Optima YT's for a nominal 156V pack.
86 volts is WAY too low!

Man, what a frustrating chain of circumstances! Sadly, it sounds like that pack is ready for recycling.

What was left on in the Sparrow that was drawing power all the time? It must be a relatively heavy load. For instance, the E-meter would have taken several months to do it.

The vehicle is a 1974 VW beetle... the before weight was 1831 lbs...
The batteries I killed are 35 AH AGMs... 29 lbs... 12 of them, 350 lbs.

Yes, that does sound like *way* too small a pack. Driving at the speeds you quoted, and on hills, and for that range would indeed murder them almost immediately.

Make your next pack at least twice the capacity.

Christopher Robison wrote:
Huge thanks to Tim Humphrey, who sent some pictures of the Henney
Kilowatt controller and some diagrams of its design and wiring
configuration at each step of throttle input.  I've put them here:
http://ohmbre.org/gallery/v/other_stuff/henney_controller

The photos came from James Jarret's car, "Lady Penelope"
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/431

Those are great! Many thanks to Chrisopher Robison and Tim Humphrey for providing them.

It's a classic rectactor circuit. Four banks of batteries, which can be wired in series/parallel to provide 3 voltage steps (18v/36v/72v), plus a starting resistor, and field weakening for 2 more intermediate steps. It's not transistorized, but is "solid state" by virtue of those big diodes. This was actually a fairly advanced design for 1960, and a good model to copy even today.

Looks like the cam switch had some problems on this one. The little black things are the microswitches. The cam itself (that was rotated by a mechanical cable to the accelerator pedal) looks pretty beat up.

Joe wrote:

> Optima YT's would give you 75 Ah, so would double your range;
> would do it in the summer, or spring/fall, but maybe not in
> winter, unless you use G31's, which are around 90 Ah.

You gotta tell the rest of us where you buy your Optimas! ;^>

The Optima D34 (YT) and D34M (BT) (Group 34) batteries I can buy are
rated 55Ah C/20, and are good for about 35-40Ah in the real world.  The
D31M (Group 31) is only rated 75Ah C/20, and so basedon the Group 34
performance would be good for about 48-55Ah in the real world:

<http://www.optimabatteries.com/publish/optima/americas0/en/config/produ
ct_info/marine/technical_specs.html>

I still wouldn't suggest using AGMs in this application since they just
aren't going to last very long if cycled deeply (75-80%DOD) every
outing.

Joseph T. wrote:

> What if you use the AGMs with regulators/balancers?

It should help, but it is not a sure thing (multiple people have had
their AGMs die prematurely with Zivan chargers despite using
regulators).

i was looking into 48 volt head lights for my
motorcycle and i came across some 48 volt LED lights
boosting 500 lumes for about $100 us.  they were for
forklifts i belive i did not save the link

--- Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oh check this out!
>
> A couple of weeks ago I was mentioning that the
> Luxeon Rebels have
> achieved power levels that make it practical to make
> LED headlights.
>
> Well Luxeon just pulled a fast one.  Their 0070 part
> suddenly became
> obsolete as their line achieved 0100.  So with zero
> increase in
> electrical power, it's now making 180 lumens instead
> of 130 lumens
> @2.38W.  That's a simultaneous leap in both
> efficiency and output per
> device.  I have dealt with them and the thermal
> issues are not
> particularly bad and achieving the full rating in a
> real-world
> application should not be all that difficult.
>
> So Wikipedia says the first halogens headlights
> (still around) are 700
> lumens on low beam.  This would have required 6
> devices per side, now
> we're down to 4 per side.
>
> As a reminder, this may not be legal for public
> roadways and given its
> radically different appearance may realistically
> elicit a traffic stop.
> With this efficiency hike they are significantly
> more efficient than
> halogens, yet since headlights do not constitute a
> significant range
> loss to begin with it's not likely to make a big
> whoop of range
> difference if it made all the light in the world on
> zero electrical power.
>
> It would, however, be cool.
>
> I'd be willing to prototype some for someone in the
> Austin area at a
> pretty low cost just for the fun of it.
>
> Danny

Albuquerque, NM
http://geocities.com/hendersonmotorcycles/blog.html
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1000
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1221
http://geocities.com/solarcookingman

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for
today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.

Check out all these LED automotive lamps that are out
there:

http://www.ledlight.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=6

I counted 16 pages of all sorts of LED lamps, in many,
many configurations, etc.

wrote:

> i was looking into 48 volt head lights for my
> motorcycle and i came across some 48 volt LED lights
> boosting 500 lumes for about $100 us.  they were for
> forklifts i belive i did not save the link
>
> --- Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Oh check this out!
> >
> > A couple of weeks ago I was mentioning that the
> > Luxeon Rebels have
> > achieved power levels that make it practical to
> make
> > LED headlights.
> >
> > Well Luxeon just pulled a fast one.  Their 0070
> part
> > suddenly became
> > obsolete as their line achieved 0100.  So with
> zero
> > increase in
> > electrical power, it's now making 180 lumens
> instead
> > of 130 lumens
> > @2.38W.  That's a simultaneous leap in both
> > efficiency and output per
> > device.  I have dealt with them and the thermal
> > issues are not
> > particularly bad and achieving the full rating in
> > real-world
> > application should not be all that difficult.
> >
> > So Wikipedia says the first halogens headlights
> > (still around) are 700
> > lumens on low beam.  This would have required 6
> > devices per side, now
> > we're down to 4 per side.
> >
> > As a reminder, this may not be legal for public
> > roadways and given its
> > radically different appearance may realistically
> > elicit a traffic stop.
> > With this efficiency hike they are significantly
> > more efficient than
> > halogens, yet since headlights do not constitute a
> > significant range
> > loss to begin with it's not likely to make a big
> > whoop of range
> > difference if it made all the light in the world
> on
> > zero electrical power.
> >
> > It would, however, be cool.
> >
> > I'd be willing to prototype some for someone in
> the
> > Austin area at a
> > pretty low cost just for the fun of it.
> >
> > Danny
> >

> Albuquerque, NM
> http://geocities.com/hendersonmotorcycles/blog.html
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1000
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179
> http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1221
> http://geocities.com/solarcookingman

> Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here
> and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo!
> Games.

--- Begin Message --- The Zetex zxld1360 is a great switcher. Takes up to 30V in (40V absolute max for limited periods). Needs an external input cap, inductor, tiny shunt resistor, and diode and that's it. It does have a 1 amp output limitation.

There is also the SuperTex HV9910, but that doesn't have an integral switch and has an undocumented premature skipping prob that requires a couple of extra components to fix. But the 9910 can take in up to 450VDC if your external transistor can take it and could operate straight off the main pack no prob if you dared run pack +/- to the headlight area.

As you may know it is difficult to put LED emitters in parallel, it requires large sharing resistors to try to balance them. Running off a 12v batt presents a limit of 3 emitters per series string.

Danny

Dave Cover wrote:

--- Danny Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So Wikipedia says the first halogens headlights (still around) are 700 lumens on low beam. This would have required 6 devices per side, now we're down to 4 per side.

Danny

Maybe you can make some driving lights for a start. Or fog lights, just spread
the pattern a
little wider.

What are you using for a driver for the LEDs? I looked at different circuits
but haven't had time
play with them yet. My interest has only been in using them to replace running
lights, dome lights
etc.

If you can recommend any good circuit designs to follow, I'd appreciate it.

Still running incandescent, sigh...
Dave Cover

--- Bob Bath <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My understanding is that the Prestolites eventually
> became? ADC motors, or at least ADC is patterned off
> of them, but I can't remember where I heard that.
> Many people still use them, so I'm assuming that
> brushes, other replacement parts still exist.

Hi Bob,

Prestolite used to be the Electric Autolite Co.  Long
ago, Ford bought the Autolite name and the company
became Prestolite.  They made motors, generators,
electric components and assemblies, spark plugs, wire
and other stuff.  In the 70's and 80's, Prestolite had
a good motor business going with plants in Bay City,
MI, Wagoner, OK, Sryacuse, NY, and Cheltenham, UK.
The plant in Syracuse was where the lift truck motors
were made.  These were 6 thru 13 inch diameter wound
field and 5.6 inch PM motors.  Things were good.

In the mid 1980's, there was a rash of corporate
acquisitions and Prestolite Motor Division got jacked
around all over the place.  At one point, management
could not stand the thought of a union shop (UAW) in
Syracuse, so moved the product line and shut the place
down.  The plant manager and a bunch of the Syracuse
white collars went out on their own to form Advanced
DC Motors.  From what I can tell, they copied the
Prestolite designs to get started.  They had the
connections to get the manufacturing equipment and
workers.  And also had contacts to the customers once
served by Prestolite.

Meanwhile Prestolite was getting divested and
bankrupted.  Now there are several Prestolites in the
US and overseas.  I think the Prestolite most related
to the large motors once made in Syracuse is
http://www.ametektip.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=106

The principals who started Advanced DC eventually sold
to Kinetek.  Then some of their family members started
D and D Motors in Sryacuse, and make a line of 6.6
inch DC motors still looking like the old Prestolite
designs, only painted blue.

A little motor history lesson.

Jeff

So what chragers are appropriate for AGM batteries?

On 7/18/07, Roger Stockton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Joseph T. wrote:

> What if you use the AGMs with regulators/balancers?

It should help, but it is not a sure thing (multiple people have had
their AGMs die prematurely with Zivan chargers despite using
regulators).

--- Begin Message --- While thumbing through the July/August issue of Sailing World, they had a big article on hyddro-fiol sail boats. So that led me to Google Video to see some footage of these things in motion, and then to YouTube section on "Fastestin the World", and then UP POPed this electric boat...

Enjoy...

(PS: Dave Cloud, you don't have to worry. Your record is safe, but for reeeely tiny peoople this is a fast ride !! )

Wow....

( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbMEW5SpOs )
--
Steven S. Lough, Pres.
Seattle EV Association

Generally:

More volts means more amps driven through the motor, which means more power. In general. There are a lot of other factors.

Also, you can usually overvoltage a motor, to a point. There are people who run 48V motors at 120V, for example. Motor death can come from overheating, which is why the temperature rating of the insulation of the motor is important.

Michael Mohlere wrote:
Sorry about the last message - seems windows live hotmail doesn't support plain text emails (nice)...

Does anyone know if a todd pc25lv dc-dc converter can be used up to 144 volts, or is 120 the limit?

Also, does running an electric motor (prestolite, ADC, etc.) used in EVs at a higher pack voltage
make it more "powerful" as well as extend the range?

CAN you run a prestolite (the 4002) at 144 volts? Will that kill or shorten the life of the motor?

Do they still make Prestolite motors? Can they be rebuilt (new brushes, i assume)?

Thx, Mike

http://liveearth.msn.com

You can make your own from a few  smaller ones put together .. That's what I
would do before I paid 700 bucks for a fuse

Mitchell