  1) Re: What is the typical amperage draw of the field for a sepex motor?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  2) RE: What EV to see in LA
        by "Will Beckett \(becketts\)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  3) Re: Series/Parallel switching (was Re: Karmann Ghia Design -
     System voltage)
  4) Re: I love my job a.k.a. I brought home so much ****
  5) An experiment
        by "Obrien, Haskell W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  6) Wh/Mile  Formula ?
        by Jeff Mccabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  7) Re: An experiment
        by BrownGassyTurd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  8) Re: Battery for a Bicycle?
  9) Re: Series/Parallel switching (was Re: Karmann Ghia Design - System
voltage)
        by Steven Ciciora <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 10) Re: An experiment
        by Dan Frederiksen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 11) RE: individual chargers
        by Mark Freidberg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 12) Re: What EV to see in LA
        by Bob Siebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 13) Re: Battery for a Bicycle?
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 14) Re: What EV to see in LA
        by keith vansickle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 15) Re: To Feed or Not To Feed (the troll) [was: RE:
        by "Roderick Wilde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 16) RE: An experiment
        by "Michael Wendell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 17) Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by Kevin Lura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 18)
        by Marc Geller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 19) Cooling a Netgain Motor...
        by [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 20) RE: An experiment
        by "Obrien, Haskell W." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 21) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by "Zeke Yewdall" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 22) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 23) RE: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by "David S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 24) Re: Karmann Ghia Design - System voltage
        by Deb Hollenback <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 25) Re: An experiment - a scam??
        by "Phil Marino" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 26) Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
        by Kevin Lura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
--- Begin Message ---
Yes, it is blower cooled.

On 7/25/07, Jeff Major <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Zeke,

6.8 Ohms is pretty low for a true shunt motor.  Lee's
got a pretty good take on it.  But I think your
nameplate said this was blower cooled, so field watts
could be even lower, maybe 200 to 300.  Good news is
that you'll be able to over excite for accel torque.

If you can come up with a variable power supply for
the field, 100 V, 15A, or at least 50 V, 8A, you could
run some bench tests to figure out how to control the
field.  If you can drive the armature of the beast at
a constant RPM, you can take a no load magnetization
curve.  That would be helpful when you design your
control and give you a real good idea of safe field
current.

Jeff

--- Zeke Yewdall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks Lee.   Yup, 220A is the total continuous
> rating, which is
> 21.2kW at 96 volts.
>
> Man, I can't wait to get my donor vehicle here so I
> get start testing
> everything in the car, instead of just sitting on
> the workbench (it's
> in my friend's shop 400 miles away).
>
> Zeke
>
> On 7/24/07, Lee Hart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Zeke Yewdall wrote:
> > > It's got two separate terminals for the field.
> And, I measured the
> > > resistance between them -- 6.8ohms.  Which I
> guess would translate to
> > > only 14 amps at rated voltage (96 volts)
> >
> > That sounds about right for a sepex motor. Field
> power is on the order
> > of 2% of armature power. I think you said this was
> a 96v 22 horsepower
> > motor? That means armature power is around 22kw.
> 2% of 22kw is 440 watts
> > for the field. With a 6.8 ohm field, 440 watts is
> 57 volts at 7.67 amps.
> > This is an educated guess as to what the field
> could stand for (say) one
> > hour.
> >
> > The full 96v into a 6.8 ohm field would be over
> 1350 watts, which would
> > burn it out in 5-10 minutes. So, it's unlikely to
> be a shunt motor,
> > which would have had a field wound to withstand
> full armature voltage
> > for an hour or more.
> >
> > --
> > Ring the bells that still can ring
> > Forget the perfect offering
> > There is a crack in everything
> > That's how the light gets in    --    Leonard
> Cohen
> > --
> > Lee A. Hart, 814 8th Ave N, Sartell MN 56377,
> leeahart_at_earthlink.net

and lay it on us. http://surveylink.yahoo.com/gmrs/yahoo_panel_invite.asp?a=7

The largest, electric vehicle only show on the west coast is the Silicon
Valley Rally on August 25th in Palo Alto, CA

http://www.eaasv.org/rally.html

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:34:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: Kevin Lura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrading NEV as alternative to ICE conversion
To: ev@listproc.sjsu.edu

Thanks for the info, I did email you off list BTW.

Anyways, I would like to get more range mostly to conserve battery life, the
website says that the
packs are good for 500 charges, and I take most of what that site says with a
grain of salt.
Longer range means less discharge from the batteries with my average commute
and more cycles.

For my drive to work my average speed is slooowwww, yet I would like to be able
to hit 45 in a
couple places.

>From what michael says it seems like there may be some room to upgrade the
>controller? Not sure
about that though. 95% of my driving would be with a single passenger, would
that give me room to
add more batteries?

If there is not room for improvement I could always put away a fraction of the
$ I save on gas and
get a nicd, nimh, lipo pack and controller when the stock pack dies in 500
cycles.

--- Michael Barkley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I know a guy in Dallas, Texas who has some Xtra
> Flybo's if you want to get one.  I can't wait to go
> look at them, as they use a contactor controller,
> operated by a cam & micro switches via the foot pedal,
> some of the vehicles he has runs on 48vdc packs, and
> others on 72vdc packs.  If you want his number,
> offlist email me and I'll get it to you.  I believe he
> has 6 units, and is going to sell 4 of them.
>

> --- Kevin Lura <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone looked into upgrading an NEV, it looks like
> > this may be a viable option as the price of
> > NEVs are getting more and more competitive. We all
> > know that a conversion is not as cheap as many
> > of us would like.
> >
> > If we could get a http://www.flybo-ev.com/ car to go
> > 10 miles further and 10mph faster that would
> > be a nice accomplishment.

> > Be a better Heartthrob. Get better relationship
> > answers from someone who knows. Yahoo! Answers -
> > Check it out.

Get the free Yahoo! toolbar and rest assured with the added security of spyware
protection.