Well, my system floats from the frame, but lightobject responded:

: The power of the JLD404 is isolated and the ground of the
: power negative has no common to the Input ground. You do
: NOT want to common ground the power and the INPUT ground.
: Otherwise, the amp meter won't work and that is the pretty of the
: JLD404 with isolated Ground

So I guess it's off to ebay for an isolating power supply.  I haven't
seen one yet that can handle 48V and output 12V, so it looks like
I'll have to put it downstream from my buck converter.