IMO ...

Since lately I have so much time on my hands (waiting in hospital waiting
rooms to be seen), and the newswires with less EV and more h2 items than in
the past, it makes me think of the strengths and weaknesses of each vehicle,
but boiled down to a non-technical level (what the common person feels who
has not-a-clue of all the technical pros and cons of either).

We have all seen how the automakers are touting the semi-autonomous modes
the new vehicles now have (self parking, sleep alert, etc.), like it is
preview to what I have occasionally posted of the vehicles having full
autonomous abilities:

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/EVLN-Renault-Hints-at-2016-Autonomous-Leaf-EV-tp4668014.html
EVLN: Renault Hints at 2016 Autonomous Leaf EV
Feb 18, 2014

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2014/05/the-87-billion-robot-car-industrial-complex/371242/
The $87 Billion Robot-Car Market
Self-driving cars might be almost 10 percent of the automotive market in a
decade and a half.
May 20 2014

Some evdl members have posted their dislike/disdain for an autonomous
driving mode, like it is the end of driving as we know it. However, there
could be a benefit that would help sell plugins.

Lets also look (simplistically) at how energy is put back in either a plugin
or a h2 fcv. Currently both require a human. The fcv needs a human to
connect the high pressure hose that would pump the chemical-energy into the
fcv. And one of the ways to recharge a plugin is to have a human plug-in the
electrical connection to transfer the power back into the pack.

But a plugin can also have the option to use wireless/inductive recharging.
>From what I recall, this has developed to a 5kw level for both home and
public use:

http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/USU-5kW-90-efficient-10-inch-air-gap-wireless-power-transfer-td3666654.html
USU 5kW 90% efficient 10-inch air gap wireless power transfer
Jul 13, 2011
http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/login.jsp?tp=&arnumber=6342812&url=http%3A%2F%2Fieeexplore.ieee.org%2Fxpls%2Fabs_all.jsp%3Farnumber%3D6342812

The 5kw level-2 charging would be good enough to recharge 100 mile EVs that
charge during the shorter time window off-peak hours utilities offer a
discount on.

I foresee EVs getting to a point to where the driver could get out, the
plugin would park itself, and do its own wireless recharging at the assigned
time (all automatic, the driver does not have to think).

fcvs do not have this non-human/hands-free option. Thus, this would be a
selling point for higher end plugins (it does it all be itself, I do not
have-to-remember to plug-it-in, etc.).

While a few automakers have thrown against EVs by backing fcvs (with $upport
from Oil companies that would chemical-fuel them), fcvs have no hands-free
refueling solution.

Chock one up for plugins over fcvs ...

{brucedp.150m.com}