Interesting comments David, The Japanese are a very polite people in public
and the vending machines allow anonymity when a personal product is needed
such a change of underwear, as well as a conveniently  purchased snack in
an off hour.  The gasoline service station is self-service in Ohio, but in
Oregon and New Jersey you dare not touch the pump ! Fire safety laws
prohibit self service.  As for the Taxi, and safety, in many regions
(Including mine - Florida,) the taxi drivers have to have a "Hack Drivers
License" and that is issued by the local police after a criminal background
check along with a regular drivers license. I tell all my acquaintances
that are uncomfortable going home at night, "Call a Taxi, the driver is
responsible for your safety and his reputation has been verified by the
city court. You can't find a more validated safe escort home at any time
day or night." And the driver is in constant contact with the dispatcher (I
had a problem one night and told my dispatcher, five taxi drivers came to
my rescue within three minutes, and 45 minutes later the police arrived to
take the problem , a sourly drunk, off to jail on a drunk and disorderly
charge.)  Will a computer driven car do that?? NO !  I trust the Taxi
drivers, not "Robot-cars" who have only been safely allowed to drive on
test tracks or lightly traveled roadways. I have seen remotely controlled
locomotives in the railway yards sorting out cars and the rail-worker's
unions say they are unsafe even under human monitoring...so they are
limited to walking speed. Those systems are not subject to cross traffic
because they are on rails. How complex if they had to be steered and avoid
collisions with cross traffic at 50 miles per hour.  ;^)

*Dennis Lee Miles *

*Director   **E.V.T.I. Inc.*

*E-Mail:*  *evprofes...@evprofessor.com* <evprofes...@evprofessor.com>

   *Phone #* *(863) 944-9913*