I see a Google self-driving car going about its business from time to
time in this area and they *are* capable of dealing with all sorts of
traffic - busy rush-hour freeways, city centers and parking lots with
not just other cars but also peds, pets, bicyclists and a bunch of other
traffic/obstacles.
One of the first times I read a report from a self-driving car was after
they completed an around-the-world trip including driving through China
and India. On a few specific locations they had to adapt the original
designed routines, such as the tendency of the car to follow the rules
of the road, while for example Indian drivers have a tendency to drive
with the white (or yellow) line under the vehicle, so they can swerve
into either lane and/or pass other vehicles or obstacles easily. The
early version of the Google self-driving car which tried to follow the
rules of the road (like I did initially) as often ad a disadvantage and
did not properly anticipate this behavior, which puts you at a serious
disadvantage and/or manouvre in a way that other drivers do not expect
and in some cases it would mean getting stuck because everyone is trying
to go even when it is not allowed, so you need to follow the custom and
show the same "aggressive" driving behavior of ever nudging further into
a constant-flowing stream of traffic on a main street until it is
completely blocked, then you can go from the side street.

I understand that one of the biggest things in the self-driving car is
not the use of sensors or implementation of basic traffic rules, but the
"tweaking" of the implementation of rules to deal with the human
interaction at situations where traffic rules are ambiguous or not
properly followed to allow better traffic flow...

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626