Compliance Car is not a phrase automakers would use at all, nor in the copy
they give writers to use (the automaker's staff do the writing-work for the
writers, and the writers tweak a few words and then take the credit for the
piece). So, of course the newswire is not going to state the Soul EV is a
compliance car.

It is easy to know what others define compliance car as
https://www.google.com/#q=%22compliance+car%22+define

As for myself, having seen automakers hem and haw, not wanting to sell EVs
for decades, I consider an EV design a  Compliance Car  if it does not show
an automaker's long term commitment to EVs, or to their EV model being sold
to the public.

An example of an automaker's non-EV-commitment is TMC's RAV4-EV-gen2. TMC
did not even do the work to design the retrofit of their RAV4-ice model to
an EV (they paid Tesla). And while they put a few of their EVs out for the
public to buy, all the while TMC were actually seriously working on their
fcv model that they 'are committed to'. Once their fcv was going to be sold
to the public, TMC discontinued selling their EV. IMO, the RAV4-EV-gen2 was
just a smoke-screen effort to keep CARB happy/off-their-backs.

The Production EVs that I consider are  Compliance Cars  is because their
design is a retrofit of an existing ice model (non-purpose-built), and or
the automaker only plans to sell enough EVs to be compliant, so they can
sell their more-profitable ice models:

- Toyota (TMC) EV
- Honda EV
- GM EV
- Fiat EV
- Ford EV
+more

By comparison, lets look at the EVs that I consider are not compliance cars.

Purpose built EV designs:
- Tesla EVs
- Nissan Leaf EV
- Mitsubishi iMiev EV
- BMW i3 (EV only option)
+more

One include the Smart EV in with the above list, even though most people for
years only knew of the Smart-ice model. Way back in the 1990's, the Smart
was actually originally designed to be an EV. It was their management that
caved-in when they were heckled by the European press, and pulled their EV
from the European market. After that experience, their management decided to
not offer their EV in N. America. They did successfully sell their
ice-retrofit version of the Smart in Europe, and years later in N. America.

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
BM : I was wondering how do we know they plan for the Soul EV to be a
compliance
only model?  I don't remember anything in that article saying so.  Isn't
"compliance vehicle"  a pejorative we bestow after they sell them in low
numbers only?    Or is it an official term that the manufacturer would
admit to?
-