It's always a tough call to figure out how government spends it's money.
Every department would LOVE to have an infinite budget.

I guess I've just grown unbelievably cynical about the government constantly
crying they don't enough money then seeing first hand they waste
it instead of trying ......just a little...to do more with less.

I don't trust them anymore.   Not that I trust private industry more, Just that
govt constantly cry wolf in order to get more funding so they don't
have to economize.

As far as road mileage tax is concerned,  The truth is most of the road
infrastructure is tremendously overbuilt for just cars and is built very strong
for 105,000 lb trucks and not 3000 lb automobiles.    That is why roads cost so
much.   However the trucking industry is very competitive and would fight
like crazy to avoid paying a penny more.

But the reason they are constantly trying to get bigger trucks on the road is
because the rail industry is ridiculously lost in the 19th century and they
are so inbred they don't even want to deal with ainything less than a complete
freight car.    For an exercise in frustration, try shipping a 400 lb item
via rail.   It's near impossible unless you own a sawmill, coal field, or oil
refinery.     These people don't even know what competition is anymore.

Ergo, bigger and bigger trucks, ergo more expensive roads and bridges, ergo
trying to stick the bill onto the average taxpayer....then on down the
food chain to the poor EV driver.

God forbid we would have decent rail transportation instead of constantly
raising the weight limit for trucks over and over, but asking for sanity appears

to be insane.

As weird as it sounds, IMHO the answer to the road tax is improved intercity
rail freight.

My two ...(non fuel tax) cents anyway.

On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:02 PM, Michael Ross via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>