On 7/9/14 8:34 AM, Electric Blue auto convertions via EV wrote:
I was reading post and saw David and some one else talking about Tesla charges
going back & forth from NYC to DC. @ 500$ per charge?? i would rather own a
dodge viper and know up front I am getting hosed at the gas pump. Thats
ridiculous...500$ or am I reading it wrong? Or coming in on this topic to late ??

He was taking the price difference between the two Model S battery versions and applying it to the difference in range. Further, he was only looking at commuting over a particular route for a year, or some such, leading to his conclusion that each charge on that route over one year would account for $500 of that price difference.

It was a rather arbitrary argument since the Model S will last much longer than one year and the Model S could be used for many other trips where the higher range battery might have more value.

But his point was that for the regular trip in question, paying for the longer range Model S was not cost effective, in his opinion. Someone else may have a different opinion, especially if they do more than that one regular trip.

Still, the difference in price as he quoted it is enough to buy a LEAF, so I'm sure Tesla buyers who are stretching to afford the Model S have to consider if they really need the longer range battery. Or for that matter, if they should buy a LEAF and just take the train for that one particular commute, as someone else suggested.

There is actually no per charge fee for Supercharger use for the Model S. Think of it as free charging for the life of the vehicle.

Supercharger access is included as a standard feature with the higher range Model S. However, IIRC There is a one-time fee of several thousand bucks if you buy the lower range Model S and choose the Supercharger access option. Again, there is no actual payment needed per charge at the Supercharger itself.

Cheers,
 -Jamie