On 9 Jul 2014 at 14:59, Dennis Miles via EV wrote:

> just put a battery pack in the trailer and a motor on the wheel, a
> simple relay to turn the motor on and as your EV becomes discharged ...
> Push your EV with the range extender trailer and use regenerative
> braking of your EV to charge your EV Pack.

I'm no expert, but this plan sounds kind of lossy.  There are also all kinds
of twitchy vehicle dynamics involved in pusher trailers.  Check the
archives; it's been discussed here.

IMO it's more direct and practical to use a battery or genset in the
trailer, connected via cable to the vehicle.  If the aux battery matches the
main battery in voltage and chemistry, you can just parallel it.  Otherwise
you'll need some kind of DC:DC and regulation scheme, which adds to the
complexity.

The battery trailer is a proven scheme.  Team New England's Solectria Force
ran one for 3 years (1999-2002) in the Tour de Sol.  I seem to recall some
controversy over where it fit into the rules because of the trailer.  But
they won the range prize at least one year.

http://imagebin.org/315432

Yes, that's a kid's sandbox on wheels!  The shape reportedly did wonders for
the trailer's aerodynamics.  It also drew smiles from the TdS officials and
spectators.

A battery trailer allows you to have a small, light battery for your EV's
daily mission, with easily-added optional longer range when you need it.
The obvious tradeoff is the awkward maneuvering you get with a trailer.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator