As many of you know I have been involved in EV's since the late 90's repairing,
reviving or building EV's of many sorts.  It turns out that my Aspire EV was
registered by some numskull at the DMV as a hybrid.  Currently I'm in Class AE
Fuel Q.  I guess the clerk got frustrated. Back 13 years  I watched as 3 or 4
clerks and the manager were trying to figure out how to register my conversion.
 http://www.evalbum.com/418  One of them decided Hybrid was a good alternative
as the computer allowed this choice and I wouldn't recieve smog notices.  It
didn't allow Electric as fuel.  I never recieved smog notices but curiously I
couldn't get the white carpool stickers but it didn't matter as my range was
down after rearranging the battery pack and couldn't go far enough to use it.
Jump 13 years.  Yesterday the same thing happened when I tried to fix their
mistake(because someone wanted to buy it and use it to get PG&E special
electric rate.   Which is
 not allowed anyway I found out so no sale) which is now my problem.  After
spending hours there and  a tow charge I was told I had to take the car to the
Referee at Bureau of Automotive Repair.  I called.....they don't seem to want
to take it.  So I called Sacramento for advice.  I got a nice guy named Ken who
said he would research it.  So for now my BEV is a Hybrid and nobody can do
anything about it even though the local DMV office staff inspected it & agree
it is a BEV.  The computer says everyone is wrong and it(based on the VIN) is a
hybrid.  MAN!   Lawrence Rhodes