I have an uncle in San Francisco who has an Honda Fit EV -- part of one of
their limited lease public trials. He lives near the top of the hill just south
of the park. When he drives down to the park, regen "overfills" his batteries
(I'm sure Honda intentionally doesn't have the wall charger take the batteries
to 100% just for such situations) and, when he gets back home, the pack is back
down to merely regularly full. It doesn't quite use zero energy for the round
trip, but the efficiency he gets that way compared to an ICE that would just be
making heat all the way down...well, it might as well be zero energy.

...and, oh-by-the-way, the energy he _does_ use is cheap-as-dirt electricity....

b&