Dennis Miles wrote:

> {Ben, autos stopped using chain or belt
> drives 80 years ago, I like using the 4WD transfer case with the 2::1 low
> range for in town and 1::1 on highway coupled with the stock 3.0::1 in the
> rear axle& differential.

I realise it isn't quite what you meant, and I don't profess to profess to be
an expert on modern transfer cases, but those I am familiar with (which are
less than 80yrs old ;^), have contained a chain drive running in an oil bath.
While a transfer case would be an elegant way to reduce the custom fabrication
required, it won't necessarily avoid the use of a chain drive.

Cheers,

Roger.