Cor,  It wasn't the losses I was aghast at it was the thought of having a
mini-stove going in my battery box!

I was also wondering if the easiest way of measuring the cell terminal
connection resistance would be to disconnect the pack and just put a large
resistor across it sufficient to draw half an amp or so but what ever it was,
very carefully measure the current flow (and keep monitoring it in case it
changes as the resistor value changes with heat) and then measure your voltage
drops across each connection.  Much the same as other have suggested, just a
bit more 'regulated', maybe.  MW