On 8/28/2014 5:49 PM, Ben Goren via EV wrote:
On Aug 28, 2014, at 2:26 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

From what I've read, part of the idea behind their lease - they'll
sell you the car, but not the battery - is to keep the car's
selling price low.  I think the battery lease costs about what
you'd spend on on fuel for a comparable car for a typical monthly
driving distance

I know marketing types love to lock people in to recurring fees, and
I'm sure automakers are looking for ways to do that in yet more ways
with EVs. But I just don't see leasing a battery as going over any
better than leasing gas tanks or tires or windshield wiper fluid.

Slight variant: I'm leasing a Smart ED and renting the battery. I would do the same thing if I bought the car. After range anxiety, I think that battery anxiety is the next biggest worry. How long will it last? Can I live with it if the capacity drops by 20%? How expensive will it be to replace? All those issues go away if the battery is rented. The $80/mo to rent the battery was part of the advertised price so it wasn't a last-minute surprise.

In general the difference between renting and leasing is who's responsible for maintenance. Me if I lease and the owner (landlord?) if I rent. I agree it makes no sense to lease a battery if I'm still responsible for it if it breaks.

--Rick