On 28 Aug 2014 at 14:49, Ben Goren via EV wrote:

> an econobox that costs more -- that costs as much to purchase, as much
> to lease the battery as buy the gas, and then you have to pay for the
> electricity on top of it? And still has limited range and probably very
> slow charging? Who's going to be interested?

Oui, vous avez raison. ;-)

However, for a long as I've followed EVs (and that's over 40 years) the
battery has always been the main source of reliability problems.  Almost
every EV I've seen advertised for sale has said "needs batteries."

In those days, lead batteries could get away with much simpler BMSes (or
none), so that's what they got.  Nothing prevented battricide in those EVs.
They might replace the battery once or twice, but it wasn't long before they
decided that EVs just weren't any match for ICEVs in reliability.

It's better today, mostly because advanced batteries REQUIRE smart battery
management systems.  Still, even folks who haven't followed EVs know
intuitively, from their experiences with laptops and mobile phones, that the
battery is going to have a definite (and perhaps unpredictable) life.

On 28 Aug 2014 at 21:16, Rick Beebe via EV wrote:

> After range anxiety, I think that battery anxiety is the next biggest
> worry.

Exactly!  battery leasing with guaranteed performance removes much of that
anxiety.

I may be naive to think this will actually happen, but it seems to me that
the longer your battery lasts, the better the lessor makes out.  That SHOULD
create incentive for them to push battery makers to develop the most
durable, cost effective battery possible.

This is completely different from the model followed by the makers of most
rechargeable appliances today: build it as cheaply as possible and let the
customer worry about how long the battery lasts.

Further, the quantities the battery lessors purchase could help to improve
economy of scale.  That's good for even folks who buy their batteries.

As I see it, in an ideal world, every EV would use pretty much the same type
of battery, just with different configurations (voltage and capacity) - just
as today in an ICEV you can use almost any supplier's fuel, oil, tires,
starting batteries, etc.  With interchangeable batteries, or even
interchangeable modules, just about any entrepreneur could jump in to build
and lease a better battery.  That would be even better for EV owners.

But I doubt that that will happen.  I expect the automakers will do whatever
they can to lock EV buyers into the "fuel" (batteries) they supply.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator