Back when cpu cycles were expensive, automakers mostly used the minimum
amount of processor power necessary to control emissions and air bags.  As
memory and cpus got to where they cost pennies, they realized that they
could control a lot more with them.  They could make the dome light fade in
and out.  They could keep people from buying cheaper used parts.  They could
"prove" that when the wreck happened, the driver had his foot on the
accelerator, not the brake.  They could shut down the vehicle if the "owner"
didn't do what the purchase or lease agreement stipulated.

As we're seeing in almost every other area where computers are involved -
which is just about everywhere - Moore's law has turned out to be the
proverbial double-edged sword.

But that's another discussion for another list, I suppose.

For the purposes of this list, let's just say that maybe some EV converters
have other reasons to wear an EV grin besides "it's clean and quiet, and it
passes all the gas stations."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator