It's been going for a long, long time.  To mention just a few:
Too many people die due to not wearing seatbelt = seatbelt laws.
Ford Explorers roll over because of low tire pressure = mandated TPMS
sensors in ALL car tires.
Insurance companies paying out because so many cars are stollen = $$$ key
with ID transducer chip.
Record number of car companies being sued for record amounts for failure to
recall cars with (known to them) defects = ability to reprogram car,
including deactivating it if it might be unsafe.

I'm all for Right to Repair!  My dealership sucks big time. I want the right
to chose who repairs my car AND I'm willing to suffer whatever consequences
for not taking it to the dealership. I do as much of my own service as I
can, I take whatever repairs I want to an independent mechanic of MY choice
and I check over all the dealership only service because they screw things
up more often than not.

Big deal Tesla can deactivate the cars it built!  The Tesla is just a
computer designed to look and work like a car.  If it's your car then
reverse engineer the software & hardware and make it your own! Heck, you
could even go in and disable Tesla's ability to disable it.  Or talk to it.
No, it's not easy, pretty near impossible, but not impossible and some of it
so simple as to be overlooked.  It's just a game of cat and mouse.