On Oct 19, 2014, at 2:02 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> The auction is already live at:
> Charitybuzz.com/vwegolf.

They're not doing a good enough job at getting the word out about the auction;
only ten beds as I type and the highest bid is $2k shy of MSRP. Especially
considering the too-short list of states where dealers will carry the car, this
would seem like the perfect opportunity to, if nothing else, pick up the car at
a steal.

...then again, this disclaimer does put a bit of a damper on things:

> Before placing a bid, please note that only e-Golf certified VW dealerships
> in these select launch states are able to perform any service and maintenance
> on the vehicle. Owners that require service on e-Golf models registered
> outside of initial launch states will be responsible for any costs associated
> with the transport of the vehicle to the nearest participating VW dealership.

One hopes that only applies to the drivetrain!

That aside, VW's entry seems a worthy competitor to the Leaf, Focus, Fit, and
Soul. Here's hoping that, as the newest entrant, it's better than the rest --
and soon about to itself become second-best!

Indeed, it's wonderful to see manufacturers adopting pure BEVs much faster than
they adopted hybrids. First there was the Insight and the Prius...and then a
few anemic offerings from some but not all the others. Here we've now got
serious EVs on sale in the states from a majority of the manufacturers --
mostly econoboxes, but also the Tesla (and the BMW equivalent of an econobox).
I'm still kinda surprised that nobody's offering an electric version of a
muscle car...the first one to do so will positively smoke all the ICE offerings
from the competition.

b&