Sure seems to me the answer is to use the waste heat off the electric motor.
(there's plenty of it in normal driving).

On Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:52 PM, Larry Gales via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

Some time ago I did some calculations showing that if you used gasoline for
heating an EV for all the heating you do for the cabin and the batteries,
you would only consume 7-8 gallons of fuel per year.  But if you only used
it when needed, such as for long trips where you need maximum range for
your EV, you would only consume about one gallon per year, an absolutely
trivial amount.
So I think heating with fuel should be a standard feature for electric cars.

-- Larry Gales

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 9:24 PM, Jan Steinman via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
wrote:

> Perhaps this is a sacrilege on this list, but I'm planning to provide
> cabin heat in my 1981 Electranagon with... diesel fuel!
>
> I got hold of an old Webasto hydronic heater. You can find them used among
> boat people, bulletin boards at marinas, etc. They sip a tiny bit of diesel
> fuel, and turn it into fairly large quantities of hot water, which I plan
> to run through my Vanagon's heater core.
>
> Electricity is (as HT Odum would put it) a "high transformity fuel,"
> meaning it is highly refined and contains a lot of embedded energy. Why
> waste it heating up resistors? A 3kW electric heater running for an hour
> uses up over ten percent of a typical EV battery, whereas one tank of
> diesel will last me all winter.
>
> Anyway, just a thought...
>
> Jan
>
> > From: Al via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
> >
> > It's that time of year, time to get the heater installed in my EV.
>
> :::: When money becomes the deciding factor in food marketing, some very
> bad things can happen. I keep thinking about how during the famine in
> Ireland, the country’s grain was sold in the higher English commodity
> markets to pay rents to absentee landlords while the Irish people starved.
> Now that’s what I call real price discovery. -- Gene Logsdon
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

Larry Gales