 From: Cor van de Water via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List <ev@lists.evdl.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2014 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [EVDL] EVLN: Supercapacitors could get Tesla their 7credit-EV

"cannot" is an absolute and dangerous statement. Incidentally it is
untrue,
but let's do some math first:

Presume that we *don't* use a buffer battery (AKA dump charge battery)
and all power is directly drawn from the local grid to show worst-case:

If a Leaf pulls up with a totally empty battery and needs to recharge to
80% (which is the max that you can do typically for fast-charge) then
you need less than 20kWh.
For that energy to be delivered in 10 mins, you need 120kW.
The standard mid-voltage overhead wiring that distributes power
throughout town typically works at voltages around 11-22kV, so you are
talking about a current of less than 11 Amp of mid-voltage supply. This
is a significant amount of power, but nothing difficult for the power
distribution, you just need a new tap directly from the mid-voltage to a
(new) transformer on the premises of the charging station. Similar to
what a commercial building would require. Or a new street with a few
dozen houses.

See - the fast charge stations that Tesla is putting in everywhere? They
draw about 100kW per charger, since they charge the Tesla pack in 1/2h
so if Tesla has already done this, why are you saying "cannot"?

In my opinion, it is simply an engineering question and as it appears,
it has already been solved.

Note that if you meant "cannot be done at home" then there is indeed the
issue of the power that a typical home is connected with, usually not
more than 25kW (240V 200Amp connections are common in USA, but the
typical "pole pig" transformer is only supposed to do 25kW continuously
een though it can be overloaded to 50kW without immediate problems) so
then you would require a dump pack if you "need" to charge faster than
in 1 hour.

In Europe a typical home is either connected to single phase 230V with
at least a 25Amp fuse, optionally upgraded to 35Amp or you can request
the power company to put in all 3 fuses to give you 400V (3-phase) at a
minimum of 25A, which would give you access to at minimum 5.7kW and for
3-phase it becomes at least 17kW (the 3-phase wiring is run to each
electricity meter inside a home, you only need to add the wiring from
meter to the 3-phase outlet and re-distribute the breakers across the 3
phases, then the power company will swap out the meter and you are set.
This is routinely done when you cook electric or use power tools).

Regards,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Skype: cor_van_de_water Tel: +1 408 383 7626