On Nov 23, 2014, at 9:11 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> As part of a side project, Theobald teamed up with coworkers to convert the
> VW bus from a gas-guzzler to an electric vehicle. Wanting to take it a step
> further, however, and completely eradicate his carbon footprint, moving away
> from having to plug in his vehicle to charge it up for his commutes, the
> team “experimented with some technology” and assembled a massive solar
> panel. They then installed the panel onto the roof, inadvertently creating
> the illusion that Theobald was driving around with a giant surfboard on the
> top of his van.

It's a neat gimmick, but I still say the solar panels belong on the roof of the
house, not the vehicle. Better efficiencies all the way 'round, much more
cost-effective, and excess generation capacity doesn't go to waste.

For s special-purpose vehicle out in the middle of nowhere (or even on the
surface of Mars), it makes sense to carry around the solar panels. Everywhere
else...fix the panels to the ground where they're optimally positioned and make
use of every watt-hour they generate.

b&