On 21 Feb 2015 at 15:33, Lawrence Rhodes via EV wrote:

> Why not use robust automotive voltage regulators for each 12v battery.

Aren't those designed to regulate the output of an alternator by adjusting
its field current?  That would take some effort to adapt to a charger,
methinks.

Or maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, and automotive voltage
regulators have changed.

Even at that, they might expect to chat with the ECU.  If so, you'd have to
rig a way to control them.  For example, I had a 1995 Civic VX, and even
though its control was less complex than today's cars, the computer was
pretty smart about SLI battery charging.  IIRC, it would tell the alternator
and/or regulator, "Charge the battery hard when the car is decelerating.
When we go into lean-burn high MPG cruise, don't charge it at all, unless
you have to."

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator