> From: Lawrence Rhodes via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
>
> I've used Variac's with a bridge for charging for years.  However the
> regulators seem to be a sore point.  Why not use robust automotive voltage
> regulators for each 12v battery.

Automotive voltage regulators do not actually regulate voltage directly.

Rather, they chop the field current of the alternator, thus reducing the output
of the main windings.

I can't think of how you'd easily adapt these to an in-line regulation
situation. Perhaps they could be used to chop a MOSFET connected to the Bad Boy.

:::: In the final analysis, more people depend on solar energy for snow removal
than any other method. -- James Holt McGravran