On Mar 6, 2015, at 2:19 AM, brucedp5 via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> [T]he kind of developments being researched by BASF could very well pave the
> way to cars that could travel more than 1,000 miles on a battery pack the
> same size as the ones in today’s mid-priced electric cars.

I'm sure we'll never see significant numbers of thousand-mile-range cars on the
market. That's almost twelve hours at 85 MPH, and over eighteen hours at 55 MPH.

What we'd see long before then would be cars with half as much battery. Never
mind the savings in money; the space and weight could be put to better use.

Or, if a battery of that much capacity winds up in a vehicle, the vehicle will
be something like the Hummer: hugely oversized and inefficient, but still with
a 500-mile range due to twice the batteries.

It looks like a 200-mile range seems to be the point where "Joe Sixpack" stops
having crippling amounts of range anxiety (whether justified or not), and we're
transitioning to that being not untypical. Tesla's had that for a while and all
the rumors are about the next vehicles from various major manufacturers meeting
that spec.

I'd expect most cars to eventually settle on a 250 - 350 mile range, no matter
what happens to battery capacity. There might be some premium models with a
500+ mile range for bragging / non-stop cross-country touring (65 MPH * 8 hours
= 520 miles), but never a 1000 mile range.

b&