On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 2:12 AM, Cor van de Water via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> The "Made by ZAP" is that the same vehicle?
> Can they help you to get info on the controller?

I initially contacted the ZAP motors folks when I was interested in
the vehicle.  On their web site it still says "coming soon to the
USA".  Well, it's for sale in the USA, it's just not through them
directly.  They put me in touch with a reseller, who I have since
reached out to (no response from them yet).

> Else it will simply be a matter of trying - take a
> multimeter and measure the voltage on the pins of the connector.
> If you see one that is between 6 and 12V and occasionally dips
> (varies) in voltage then that might be an RS232 TX line.
> Oscilloscope will tell you if it is a digital comm signal.

I am by no means an electrical engineer.  But I have done quite a bit
of fooling around in with multi-meters and serial connections over the
years.  I have a nice breadboard / breakout board ready for the task.
But I haven't been able to find a 10-pin DIN that fits that weird
interface.  I have been digging through Digi-keys catalog and I found
a few that *might* fit.  But most 10 pin DIN's are three distinct rows
of straight aligned pins.  And this thing is intentionally different.
I am trying to avoid making any direct connections or clipping any
wires.

> Seeing the 5 connectors: red, black and 3 color outputs,
> tells me that this is an AC controller.
> I presume that the connectors with the double row of contacts
> are the control inputs (switches, sensors and throttle)
> but in my controller, there is also a serial interface on one
> of these connectors (but that is not a chinese controller).
> Even if you can find the serial port connections, it will be another
> challenge to find out how to program it...

You are correct!  The double rows of pins on that side are where my
"standard controls" connect.  Perhaps they run elsewhere into the
vehicle and there is a serial port there?  I don't have a wiring map
for this vehicle.  I would love to get my hands on a service manual.
But something tells me it would need translated.  There isn't a whole
lot to this thing, and it's very easy to take apart.

If I can get some warm weather out here I will strip her down and go
on an Easter egg hunt.

Hey, kudos on your wireless cards.  We have bought quite a few at work
(a hospital).  Not that you need my say so, but your stuff is top
notch.  ;-)