From: EV [mailto:ev-boun...@lists.evdl.org] On Behalf Of Jan Steinman via
EV
Sent: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 5:37 PM
To: Electric Vehicle Discussion List
Subject: Re: [EVDL] Temperature rating (and Blowing them up!)

> From: Robert Bruninga via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org>
>
> Same happens with NiMh:  See my blown up Prius cells... All I did was p
ut a 300 mA trickle on them... and then forgot about it.
> Until 8 hours later when they began to explode...

Wow, Bob. That is difficult to understand. Across one cell, there should
only 360 milliwatts, which a half-watt resistor can safely dissipate! Even
if a cell were shorted, the wiring to it could probably dissipate 300 mA
without melting.

Are you absolutely certain your charger didn't go bonkers on you? It's
hard to reconcile 300 mA with the sort of damage pictured.

:::: The problems of energy use are not technical but cultural. Americans
want speed, acceleration and big cars. -- Pat Murphy