Does anybody know any more about this research?

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2015/march/aluminum-ion-battery-033115.html

Aluminum anode; graphite cathode. Unspecified salt for the electrolyte.

It's only about two volts. The rest of the specs are vague...nothing at all
about capacity. They claim super-fast charging times without indicating how
much energy the batteries actually take on. They claim several thousand charge
cycles. No mention of energy density per mass. The prototype is bendable, in
what looks for all the world like a mylar ziploc bag. They show the battery
being drilled into with minimal ill effect.

I find it intriguing to consider for an electric vehicle...because a super-fast
charging time, if real, would similarly imply a super-fast discharge rate. It
gives the appearance of being technology within the reach of an hobbyist to
manufacture. Form factor is obviously quite literally flexible.

In other words...I can almost imagine building a battery like this, myself, at
home, to put into a car conversion. Or, if it's too heavy for vehicles, then to
stick in the closet to pair with the solar PV array.

Any experts out there have any good water to throw over me?

b&