my 2 cents:

Seems to me that using methane to make H2 to run in a car isn't very
compelling.     Why bother since it is so easy to just use a CNG car?      Even
if it was a few percentage pointsmore efficient..and that's far from certain,
It doesn't seem worth it.   If you really cared about efficiency that much,
you'd be modifiying the aerodynamics, not making some more complicated way of
using the CNG.
But I don't hate fuel cells.    Why hate an idea?   There are actually good
uses for fuel cells.   They are faster to recharge than lithium batteries.
They make clean water too.Why not just accept that?  I don't hate the idea
anymore than I hate the idea of burning coal to make electricity to run the EV.
   That's not particularly compelling either.
.IMHO what is compelling is solar panels generating electricity to run the EV.

 Think if Michael Faraday gave up studying his little toy magnets and wires?
We wouldn't be having EV's...or even electric lights for that matter..but
sometimes on the way to the future,
you need to accept that "A" by itself" isn't the answer.   You also need "B",
but according to the law of procrastination, before you can do anything, you
need to do something else, so why not give up now....anyway, the point is that
you shouldn't degenerate an idea that hasn't found widespread use yet.

So stop hating fuel cells.   Maybe they have an appropriate use?  Perhap in
distant future, in a galaxy far away maybe they might use a "reversible fuel
cell" (they exist) that can make hydrogen (and oxygen) from solar panels and
store it for later use, then use it at will (or at night) to generate heat and
electricty and Imagine everyone's fuel cell car as a hydrogen-oxygen
generator while it's parked, which could potentially send hydrogen and perhaps
oxygen to a "hydrogen" grid (i.e. pipeline like natural gas).   that could be
used for machines that don't lend themselves to batteries.        Then these
same fuel cells could generate electricity at night off the same stored
hydrogen.

Not saying it's going to happen in our lifetimes,  or even that ithe future
won't bring something better, but there was a time not so long ago when people
laughed at ridiculously high priced solar panelsor EV's.

You never know what the future's going to bring.   I personally wouldn't
completely condemn fuel cells as ...bull$shit and stop or halt their
development as some sort of dead end
That seems like the same sort of arrogant talk, not long ago, that people were
using toward EV's.