     From: Paul Dove <dov...@bellsouth.net>
 To: Russ Sciville <rustyb...@yahoo.co.uk>
 Sent: Thursday, 14 May 2015, 15:46
 Subject: Re: [EVDL] Supercharging is not the way.

GM seems to disagree with you.

   - Farah says that in his mind the Volt is unequivocally an electric car.
"The Volt is an electric vehicle...because for the first 40 miles you can get
full performance running on nothing but an electric motor until the battery is
depleted," he said.
   - The Volt has three distinct motive forces in it: a large electric motor, a
small electric motor/generator, and a 1.4 liter engine. Up to two of those
three forces can be combined in select ways through the Volt's secret sauce
drive unit—given the road demands and state of charge of the battery—to drive
the vehicle.
   - Only the large electric motor is capable of moving the car forward on its
own. The small electric motor/generator and the gas engine can only ever be
combined with one of the other motive forces to drive the wheels.
   - Even when the gas engine is on and partially driving the wheels, it cannot
operate without electricity flowing to one of the other motors.
   - The gas engine, under most conditions, will be used to drive the generator
and produce electricity, and will not be used to drive the wheels.
   - There is no "direct" mechanical linkage between the Volt's gas engine and
the wheels, rather there is an indirect linkage that is accomplished by meshing
the power output of the engine with the power output of one of the other two
electric motors.

http://www.plugincars.com/exclusive-chevrolet-volt-chief-engineer-explains-volt-drivetrain-says-volt-electric-vehicle-90758.ht

Sent from my iPhone