On Fri, May 29, 2015 at 7:17 PM, EVDL Administrator via EV
<ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:

> I wouldn't suggest lithium for him, but not because it's overkill for the
> car - more because it might be overkill for him.

How can a maintenance free battery that doesn't cause corrosion be
overkill for him?

> Chinese LiFePO4 goes pretty cheap, but that's not the end of it.  He'd also
> need at least a BMS, and probably a new charger.  (With some electronics
> background, he might be able to hack up a way for the BMS to control the C-
> car charger.)

I don't understand why so many people keep insisting on this. I
started with a cell level BMS and finally took them off. In 5 weeks it
will have been 4 years ago and well over 12k miles since my pack was
last balanced. The only thing I have is a digital version of Lee
Hart's Batt-bridge and I charge to 69.1V for a 20 cell pack or
3.455Vpc. This charges my pack to 98-99% SOC. I finally quit checking
the voltage balance at the end of charge every week and went to
checking it monthly until I got bored of that and now I'm only
checking it once every 6 months. As of today I have 20,552 miles on
the pack.

Just follow what Michael Ross said and you will be fine. Just charge
to 3.5Vpc and cut off the charger when the current drops to 0.05C. If
you have a charger like my Zivan which doesn't have that option then
lower the ending voltage. Set the controller to not work below 2.5Vpc
or so and the bottom is fine too. Simple and works.

On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 6:20 AM, Cruisin via EV <ev@lists.evdl.org> wrote:
> Don't waste you money on LifePo (Chinese), go with what all the big guys use
> like the Volt or Leaf batteries.

I'm sure glad I didn't listen to that advice. My November 2009 TS
LiFePO4cells are working just fine. Treat them right and they will
work fine. A good hand full of cycles and then discharge to about
2.75V and let them sit for a few weeks to sort out any cells with soft
shorts and you will have a great pack.

--
David D. Nelson
http://evalbum.com/1328