 Subject: Re: [EVDL] adding solar charging to 12 volt battery on LEAF
 To: "Electric Vehicle Discussion List" <ev@lists.evdl.org>
 Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 8:12 AM

 As
 another data point, so far we haven't noticed any
 problems with the
 12 volt battery in the
 2013 LEAF that we bought about a year and a half ago.

 What model LEAF did you buy?
 S, SV or SL?
 What symptoms have you had?

 Cheers,

 -Jamie

 On
 7/14/15 10:41 PM, harry henderson via EV wrote:
 > the 2013 nissan leaf has a known issue
 with its 12 volt battery
 > either by lack
 of charging or vampiric drains, i just got a 2013 leaf
 > and found my 12 volt battery at 4
 something volts a couple weeks
 > after i
 got it.  carmax replaced it but what they replaced was
 not
 > the original battery.  the battery
 they replaced was only a month old
 > and
 i don't know how many batteries this 2 year old EV has
 used in
 > its 10,000 miles of life.
 >
 > i'm considering
 hooking up a solar charging unit to the battery.
 > i've been using solar charging systems
 on my 12 volt systems as their
 > only
 power source for 10 years now on my homemade EVs, however,
 this
 > is a little different, since it
 supposed has a DC/DC system.  the

 options i've pondered include:

 > 1. add an unregulated trickle charge [but
 with diode: 1-2 watts] to
 > existing
 battery 2. add a regulated [charge controller: 10-20
 watts]
 > to existing battery 3. add a
 regulated [charge controller: 10-20

 watts] to a deep cycle [that is larger than existing
 battery, maybe
 > about 30% larger]
 >
 > #3 is what i've
 been using very successfully for 10 years, but again
 > this is different situation, eager for
 other folk's suggestions

 > i realize this might void some or all
 warranty issues, please don't

 respond if that is your only contribution, thanks

 current bike:  http://www.austinev.org/evalbum/1179