I have at HPEV AC-50 motor with a Curtis 1238 controller.  I am using the
regen feature (a brake pot is wired into the controller).  I've read the
controller manual but still have a couple of questions about how the regen
works:

1.  First and foremost, how does the controller know when to kick in regen?
Does this just happen automatically once the accelerator pedal is released
back to idle?  (I understand that the brake pot controls the amount of
regen, I just don't know what causes the regen to initiate.)

2.  Do I need to connect the "brake relay" (orange wire, pin 3) to anything?
>From the wiring diagram it looks like all it does is turn on the brake
lights, if the vehicle is not already equipped with a brake-pedal relay for
the brake lights.

If someone can shed light on this regen feature it would be a big help.