[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Modifying-a-Leaf-for-better-range-tp4678455.html
]

(Qualifier: there are likely other evdl members that are more experienced
than I on this topic, and I ask for their input and corrections)

I am thinking Lawrence' post is on the heels of his last post about the
SF<->LA  L3 EVSE gaps. It looks like he is considering that rare long EV
trip that would benefit from a L3 charging ability and confirm how wise it
was to pay a little extra to have a full powered 6kW L2 charger on-board.
IMO no one should consider buying an EV that does not have both of these.
While most of the time L1 at home or work is fine, there are those few times
when it is nice to be able to push the quick charging envelope ( = lets you
enjoy your EV doing something you rarely do/do the least).

I first looked at what can be done to improve range, by tapping into the
many sites discussing this. Any site that discusses tricks and tips to
improve mpg (or mpge) would apply. Here are a few links:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1079678_active-shutter-grille-vents-how-they-help-improve-mpg

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f10/aerodynamics-mpg-increase-up-16-a-221.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=nissan+leaf+Hypermiling+EcoModding

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nissan-leaf-30243.html

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/nissan-leaf-30243-39.html

But Lawrence is not driving a less efficient ice converted to EV (like my
former S-10 Blazer EV). He is driving a purpose built Nissan Leaf production
EV. For the price, the Leaf has already been optimized for efficiency by
design (even those frog eye like headlight lens are to help aerodynamics by
sending the wind around the side mirrors, etc.).

So, placing rear wheel well and front grill air dams will only help a
fraction. A better thought is to work with what you have. And to begin with
knowing what Wh/mile to expect of your EV. The following shows highway
Wh/mile rating for a few EVs, that will seem higher than what some have been
getting. But if you use them, you can not be hurt when planing a trip.

http://longtailpipe.com/ebooks/green-transportation-guide-buying-owning-charging-plug-in-vehicles-of-all-kinds/gasoline-electricity-and-the-energy-to-move-transportation-systems/understanding-kilowatt-hours-in-electric-cars-and-other-gizmos/
1999 GM EV1 (NiMH)      179 Wh/mile
2000 TMC RAV4 EV (NiMH) 400 Wh/mile
-----------------------------------
2014 BMW i3 BEV         270 Wh/mile
2014 Chevy Spark EV     280 Wh/mile
2014 Honda Fit EV       290 Wh/mile
2015 VW e-Golf          290 Wh/mile
2015 Nissan Leaf        300 Wh/mile
2015 Kia Soul EV        320 Wh/mile
2014 Ford Focus EV      320 Wh/mile
2014 Tesla Model S 85   380 Wh/mile

http://avt.inel.gov/pdf/fsev/fact2012mitsubishii-miev.pdf
2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV  340 Wh/mi

What really wastes energy is those pesky-human driving habits (racing to the
next red light, etc.). EAA old timers from the old PbSO4 conversion days,
when getting 40+ miles range @55mph was the norm, know that driving your EV
at a constant lower speed, and like there is an egg between your foot and
the accelerator pedal, maximizes range. There are many people that enjoy
maximizing their driving range (EV or ice). They are called Hypermillers.
Here is a link specifically for Leaf EV hypermilling:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13978
hypermiling procedures

IMO I suggest Lawrence spend less time trying to improve the Leaf, and
mostly focus on learning how to hypermill his Leaf EV for maximum range.

Note: in my experience from long ago driving my 2ton lead-sled conversion EV
repeatedly on long trips to prove L3 quick charging was viable, all my
hypermilling tricks paid off on the first-time trip (slowly getting up to
and staying at a constant 55mph). But I found that on repeated trips on the
same route, I was much more comfortable about my range ability, and the
trips were more enjoyable.

When thinking about this during the recharging times, it seemed to me that
my human mind was over-thinking like a protection mechanism. It wasn't until
I actually had the experience did I know what could and could not be done.

After a few long distance trips (initially quite careful, and more confident
on repeated trips), I began to know my EV really well. This relieved me of
that over thinking, to now focus on having a plan of secondary charging
locations (encase the one I planed on was down or in use). Today with so
many EVs on the road, having a couple back up plans for charging is wise,
especially on long trips (thanks plugshare.com ).

I have a EV trip experience from a Leaf driver to share. A SJEAA member that
would be coming from deep in San Jose (Blossom Hill area, jct of Hwy 101 &
Hwy 85), wanted to make a round trip to Treasure island (its an island east
of SF in the middle of the bay).

At that time, there was no public EVSE on the island, and there was far less
public L2 EVSE than there is today. I let him know that driving up Hwy 101
was wiser than using the east SF bay route as 101 is flatter (wastes less
energy), and I let him know of places to charge in SF after his Treasure Is.
task was over. Google maps shows
https://goo.gl/maps/VN6UWrfEJ9N2
 that trip is about 65 energy miles, which is close to his Leaf's range
ability. Later he told me that he had charged for over 4 hours at a 3kW L2
rate which enough for him to return back home. His style was to do this
inital long EV trip at 50mph. He said that was the technique he had learned
when he previously drove his Porsche EV conversion.

For EVLN EV-newswire posts use:
http://evdl.org/evln/

{brucedp.150m.com}

-
[ref
http://electric-vehicle-discussion-list.413529.n4.nabble.com/Modifying-a-Leaf-for-better-range-tp4678455.html
I was reading online that capping the grill, moving the license plate,
reversing the mudflaps and pumping up the tires to 45psi will give you 20%
better economy with the Leaf. I'm thinking fender skirts would help as well.
Lawrence Rhodes
]
-