Agree,
I learned long time ago that you only take insurance on something
when it is either required by law or because you can't pay the damage
when it happens.
If I buy a $3000 car cash and I know that I can easily come up with a
similar amount to buy another car, then I don't insure that car, except
for the liability (and that for more than the minimum, BTW).

If I make a mistake and I dent the bumper of the car in front of me
when I brake too late, my insurance never gets to know, I simply pay
the guy for the inconvenience.

If there is a risk that my house gets destroyed (flood, fire or whatever)
then I have an insurance to cover that risk, so I can continue to have a
roof over my head. If the risk is negligible, for example an all-concrete
apartment on 4th floor in an area without earthquakes and without mortgage then
I do not have an insurance on that home because there is no reason for it.

I have never financed a vehicle, so I have never insured it other than for
liability.
In Netherlands the situation of insurance is quite different than USA
apparently, because the one time that I caused damage to another car and the
insurance paid it, they explained that I had till the end of the year to decide
if I wanted to pay the damage myself, which would bring me back to the exact
position on the bonus/malus ladder as if the accident never happened, or keep
the insurance payment, which would kick me to a lower position and increase my
rates. Before the end of the year I did the calculation, saw that the
difference in premium was bigger than the claim, so I paid it and my premium
was the same after as before. It helps when a country has laws that govern the
industry into clearly regulated rules how they are allowed to charge, change
and exchange customers and what benefits the customers are entitled to after a
certain number of years paying premium and not claiming. It avoids these sleazy
tactics that Bob had to suffer through.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received this
message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of this message is
prohibited.