In the Leaf, the heat pump will reduce the heating loads from ~5kW to less than 1kW. Big difference in range in the winter.

Heat pumps typically deliver about a factor of 3 (or better, theoretical maximum of about 8,) reduction in energy consumption over a resistive heater. That is why it is worth installing the complicated system. Yes, a heat pump will typically use 1/3 the energy to supply the same heat. (A resistive heater has a Coefficient of Efficiency of 1.0 ). Seems too good to be true, but trust me, they deliver. I even have a heat pump to heat my garage in the winter. It will pay for itself in about a season, maybe two. I installed it myself, which reduces the initial cost by about a factor of two.

Here is link about the Coefficient of Efficiency (COP) of a heat pump systems:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coefficient_of_performance

Often, heat pumps will have a SEER rating, which can be converted to a COP:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_energy_efficiency_ratio

In a nutshell, you are "pumping" the heat "uphill" from the cooler air outside and forcing it into the warmer air inside.

Bill D.