My EV truck does have an overspeed sensor (a sensor sitting next to the
rear shaft of the motor, which has a pulley for the steering pump belt
and that pulley has an extra screw which passes in front of the sensor,
so only one pulse per rotation, I believe though I did not bother to
inspect the pulley if it might have 2 or more bolt heads sticking out
that result in more pulses per rotation.

One of the ways to detect overspeed is to measure the distance between
two pulses from the sensor and compare that this is always at least a
certain minimum, if it gets too low the power must be cut back.
This can be done in a processor and a hardware timer measuring the time
between pulses, or even in a simple monostable multivibrator, first one
that is triggered by one edge of the pulse from the sensor and stretches
it by a configurable amount of time, such that when the max RPM is
reached the output no longer returns because it is re-triggered before
the pulse stretch finishes. It is easy to detect (by a second one) that
the signal level no longer returns and cut power.
Another nice feature build-in to my controller is a detection of
overcurrent. At a certain configurable maximum the power is reduced to
maintain the current at max, but if the current rises to a next
threshold level, the contactor is dropped.
Before closing the contactor (during starting) the controller also
senses whether the controller output is free floating and not stuck due
to blown transistor or fly back diode. Either will avoid starting and
these features have saved me from turning my motor into shrapnel or
blowing stuff up more than it already was, since my switching IGBT tends
to self-destruct once in a while due to errors in the layout of the
controller.
Note: this is the EV versoin of an old "forklift" DC controller, EVT-100

Hope this gives some ideas,

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.