Ordinary pavement in contact with rubber tires give a coefficient of friction of about 1. There is no getting around this. It limits the acceleration to about 1 g, which translates to a 0 to 60 mph time of about 2.7 to 2.8 seconds. To quote the BMW owners manual on the subject of traction control: "The laws of physics cannot be repealed".

On the drag strip, they coat the surface with TrackBite. It is essentially contact cement. With a TrackBite coated surface, you can get a coefficient of friction of 3, or perhaps a little greater. Thus, on the drag strip, you can accelerate with 3 g's and get a 0 to 60 mph time that is significantly less than one second.

The "layer of fresh rubber" helps, but that alone won't get you anywhere near the traction that TrackBite will. A properly prepped drag strip has maximum traction without any tires rolling on it.
There are several reasons that dragsters smoke their tires:
1) It heats the tire compound, and make it adhere to the prepped track surface. 2) It removes a thin layer of aged hard rubber, and reveals fresh soft sticky rubber. 3) It heats the track (slightly). This is of little consequence these days. They have cooling coils under the track in the best drag strips to hold the track surface at the ideal temperature.
4) It creates a spectacle for the crowd.

I should note that there are other tricks that drag racers use to help get traction. They use the rotational inertia of the vehicle to "plant" the rear tires during the launch sequence. They use the thrust of the upwardly pointed exhaust to give down force. Further down the track, they use wings. etc. to give many times the vehicle weight in down force to help traction.

Bill D.