Hello Willie,

My battery box was made out of fiberglass. It held 90 large 20 inch high 300 ah
Exide Tuder 2.2 cobalt cells 20 inches high that weigh

about 30 lbs each. The bottom was 1/2 thick which was only supported by the two
frame rails with two fiberglass support beams.

Non metallic structure made it non conductance which made it electrical
isolated from the metal body.

All electrical components, motor controller, battery charger, and chassis boxes
are all place in and on non-conductive surfaces.

There are two ways to construct these boxes.  One is to make a reverse mode of
the battery box using plywood and covering it with a

vinyl floor covering.  Either you or a fiberglass company will than spray a
mode release on the vinyl, spray on a gel coat and than lay up

fiberglass cloth starting with a very fine material on the first layer and
ending up with a heavy grid pattern on the last layer ending up

with a 1/4 inch wall thickness.  I had support angles glass on the outside
bottom edge that was 1/4 thick that allow me to bolt the

battery box to the bed of the pickup through into the frame rails.

After the fiberglass cures, than you can have the inside surface spray with a
two part hot mix of porcelain epoxy coating which is a very

hard surface.

The other way, is to purchase the fiberglass sheets yourself from the
fiberglass company that are can be epoxy coating.  I have use this

method to make a battery box that is only 12 inches high by 43 x 54 inches that
fit in the pickup box between the wheel well housing.  Install equipment box 12
inches high by 16  x 60 inches that  houses the battery charger, contactors,
circuit breaker chassis, and fuses.

The fiberglass company can supplied all the material to attach the sheets
together and show you how to do it.

The last method is to use aluminum sheeting which I would use if I was to
construct a car which I would make out of aluminum.

The aluminum support structure should be not less than 0.08 inch or we call 80
thousands.  To just to make the box, lay out a pattern for a

sheet metal cutting pattern.  The sheet should have flange about one inch that
is bent 90 degrees which allows the side sheets to fasten to

by either rivets or welding if you have the machine to do this.  The side
sheets should also have a 90 degree flange on one end, so it can

be fasten to the next side sheet.

Also the top edge of the side sheets should have a 90 degree flange for a cover
to lay on.  You may have to put a mid cross panel about midway

in the box to support the sides if require.

Roland