Peri Hartman via EV wrote:
I think Lee was referring to how you wire the panels together, not the
house. You could wire your panels in parallel and, as long as your
inverter is near the panels, not incur any more line losses than a
series system.

Right! PV panels are physically large, even larger than batteries. Thus there is inevitably a fair amount of wire needed to connect them together.

We must simply try to locate the source and the load as close together as possible. That minimizes the *total* amount of wire (both length and cross-sectional area), and that will tend to optimize cost, performance, and efficiency. Often, the differences between series/parallel aren't as significant as you might think. They can be small enough that other factors matter more.

--
"IC chip performance doubles every 18 months." -- Moore's law
"The speed of software halves every 18 months." -- Gates' law