On 18 Jun 2016 at 20:52, Peri Hartman via EV wrote:

> So if a cell (CSIRO's cell) can be produced without the above
> encumbrances, it would increase the energy capacity of an EV battery
> substantially and reduce range anxiety.

Here's another possible solution to the dendrite problem.

http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/02/room-temperature-lithium-metal-
battery-closer-reality

https://v.gd/OonDxm

Bruce may have posted this item already, although I didn't find it in the
archive.

I wonder how much more a lithium metal battery for an EV would cost per kWh -
not just to amortize the development costs, but for raw materials.

One of the other problems to be solved would be how to  ensure the safety of
lithium metal in a collision.  It's highly reactive stuff, very eager to
combine with many gases (including the oxygen in the air) and water.  You
don't try to put out a lithium fire with a fire hose!  It can do nasty
things to your skin with just a little perspiration.

Even if the problems are all couquered, I don't expect to see lithium metal
batteries available in, say, 2020 EVs.  The first experimental lithium ion
batteries were developed in 1980, IIRC.  The first commercial lithium ion
battery was released 11 years later.  LiIon didn't become all that common in
(expensive) portable electronic gadgets until about the mid-1990s.

FWIW, the first lithium-ion-powered EV I know of was the Altra EV, a rather
sizable wagon based on a Japanese-market Nissan.  Nissan built 200 of them
between 1997 and 2001.  They used Sony lithium-cobalt and Hitachi lithium-
manganese modules. The range was stated as "up to" 120-140 miles, with 70-
100 miles considered more practical.

I never saw a purchase price for an Altra.  AFAIK they were leased, not
sold, mostly to public utilities.  Still, I wonder if any were sold and
might still be floating around.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
EVDL Administrator