The heater is on high voltage, so it has its own (small) contactor.
To avoid the software glitch that accidentally continues to power the
heater, which causes the pre-charge resistor to blow, there are two ways
to avoid this fatal flaw:
- add a small circuit in the pre-heater contactor coil loop, so that
even if the SW accidentally brain-farts and leaves it on, the added
circuit has a time-delay after seeing the ignition turned on and will
not engage the heater until a couple seconds after the car has actually
started.
- or cut one of the legs off that pre-charge resistor and wire it
outside of the controller to a well-accessible location where a blowing
pre-charge resistor might be a nuisance, but a quick swap can be made an
be back on your way, instead of the scrapnel destroying the circuit
board...
Of course, this only works with not-yet-damaged boards.
I'd be interested in inspecting the board of a disabled Think City to
see if I can get it going again, they seem to be fun little cars.

Cor van de Water
Chief Scientist
Proxim Wireless

office +1 408 383 7626                    Skype: cor_van_de_water
XoIP   +31 87 784 1130                    private: cvandewater.info

http://www.proxim.com

This email message (including any attachments) contains confidential and
proprietary information of Proxim Wireless Corporation.  If you received
this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.  Any
unauthorized use, disclosure, distribution, or copying of any part of
this message is prohibited.